RM125 Interchangeable parts

What Suzuki years have interchangeable parts? I'm specifically looking to see what years are compatible with my 79 rm125. Any help is appreciated

Only 79 and 80 were essentially the same bike. Some parts do cover more than that though. For example the piston is common from I think 77 till 80.

As a side question why so much effort for an old bike? If you plan on racing the vintage races then I guess that I get it. Otherwise I'm not so sure that I get it. At the end you will have a bike worth about $500 even if you spend considerably more. The suspension isn't just antiquated, it is prehistoric.

I'm not looking to race. Just trail ride. I don't have the money to buy a newer bike so I'm stuck with this one for now so its gotta work. I want to buy some parts for it to make it look better. It runs and I didn't pay a single penny for it.

What is your knowledge of the bikes history?

125 two strokes eat pistons and rings. Their lifetime is short. It almost for sure needs a top end. Another item that it likely needs is crank seals. Leaking seals is a quick route to a seizure.

About your only source of parts will be ebay. If you can wait stuff usually will show for a somewhat reasonable price. Some people put stuff up on ebay for crazy high prices.

This is my first bike. It was given to me and sat for a long time. So I don't have much knowledge of dirt bikes but I am a mechanic. So I'm no stranger to building and fixing what I need to. I don't have the money to buy a newer bike. I'm attempting to trade it for a newer bike to someone that's into the vintage scene and that can afford a restoration project.