4 Stroke Ims Tank Addition

If some of you read my RR on my failed attempt at riding to the Husky Memorial, you would remember that I stretch the fuel range out on the Highly Modified TTR and saw it come to a halt around 90 miles. So for my birthday last month, my sis-in-law scored me a new IMS tank. :hail:

Stock tank is 2.51 and the IMS is 3.2 and should be enough to throw me into the triple digits on mileage.

While shopping for a tank, I also want to see picks of how it looks sitting on the bike so I can tell how fat or narrow it will be. Some tanks are just too big or fat and make it hard to get in an aggressive riding stance when I decide to leave Rack stuck in his second gear and stretch out the transmission.
So While I was doing this install, I thought of you fine Gold Fish DBAers that have a similar scooter as my TTR and took some pics of the stocker and the IMS.

Please enjoy and ask questions as I probably do not know the answers, but will make something up.

So here is the 2 tanks side x side. The stocker on the left and IMS on the right. You can see that the IMS is slightly larger all over as well as the top part.

DSC01298.jpg

In the next post, I will do a side by side from each angle.

So here you can see that the IMS (on the right) does not change the cock pit too much as it is close to the same width as the stock tank.
DSC01294.jpgDSC01300.jpg

Here is where most of the fuel gain is. As you can see the tank hangs down a little further. I might add that this side gave me some static when installing the radiator shroud. With the filler neck being off center and the tank bubbling out on this side, you had to be strategic on what bolt to put in first. You will also notice that you can use the stock pet cock and I used the stock fuel line from the old tank that connects to the carb.
DSC01292.jpgDSC01299.jpg

Here is the right side and you only notice a slight diff in size, where the bottom of the tank stays straight.
DSC01293.jpgDSC01302.jpg

Here is a closer look, looking down on the tanks. You can see that with the offset fuel neck, it bubbles out the tank a little and makes the shroud curve a little, but you still have a pretty narrow cockpit.
DSC01291.jpgDSC01301.jpg

Bottom line I was real happy with the install and look once it was on. IMS gives you new hardware to replace all the rad shroud bolts and 2 new bolts for the petcock. New gas cap and fuel line if needed. Also received 2 shinny IMS stickers, that once I figure out a place to put them, should increase the HP gains significantly.

Enjoy and looking forward to running this thing dry...:ride:

Nice. :thumb: I'm a fan of IMS, Steve is a very cool fellow rider. Come to think of it, besides liking IMS, I like stickers too, so if you need help applying the 2 new ones you got, let me know.:devil:.

I like that tank. I have been looking at the Acerbis 3 gallon tank too. Not sure of the cost difference or quality between the two. :thinking:

I like that tank. I have been looking at the Acerbis 3 gallon tank too. Not sure of the cost difference or quality between the two. :thinking:
Not sure on Acerbis, but I have had many IMS tanks over the years and their quality is always good. Customer service is great as well (if for some reason you need it).

that is awesome... i too have been looking at the acerbis. i might be able to get a discount on one. if not what is the price of that IMS tank ?

If you can get a discount let me know how I can join in. :thumb: Maybe getting two is even better. :thinking:
that is awesome... i too have been looking at the acerbis. i might be able to get a discount on one. if not what is the price of that IMS tank ?

If you can get a discount let me know how I can join in. :thumb: Maybe getting two is even better. :thinking:
ill be lucky if i can get a discount myself. its a guy who's brother in law roomed with a dude who once went to college with another dude who knew this guy that met another rider out on the trail who was related to someone who might be sponsored by Acerbis.

ill ask tho

IMS is the shizzle. They make the ones specific for Zip Ty also. Same price just formed different for the YZ250. They hang lower than the IMS specific. Zip Ty really made it lower in center of gravity. That was a nice write up, if you need to polish it, make sure you find the right stuff. :smirk:

ill be lucky if i can get a discount myself. its a guy who's brother in law roomed with a dude who once went to college with another dude who knew this guy that met another rider out on the trail who was related to someone who might be sponsored by Acerbis.

ill ask tho

Roost when I can. :lol:

Good write up! I have had an IMS on both my 250 and 450. They blend into the bike so well sometimes I cant tell if it is a stock tank or not. Im very happy with mine. When I bought my new/used bike I got the stock tank with it. But before he handed it to me with all the other stock stuff I thought it was the stock tank on the bike. It blends that well. Why is the filler neck off center? I never noticed that on KTM's. I have a Clark on my Sumo. I think the Clarks are fatter, uglier and not so streamline. You sure have a nice bike CDA. Im thinking you may need to suprise the world and ride that thing:devil:

I see. So when should I send you my money? :smirk:

ill ask tho

Good write up! I have had an IMS on both my 250 and 450. They blend into the bike so well sometimes I cant tell if it is a stock tank or not. Im very happy with mine. When I bought my new/used bike I got the stock tank with it. But before he handed it to me with all the other stock stuff I thought it was the stock tank on the bike. It blends that well. Why is the filler neck off center? I never noticed that on KTM's. I have a Clark on my Sumo. I think the Clarks are fatter, uglier and not so streamline. You sure have a nice bike CDA. Im thinking you may need to suprise the world and ride that thing:devil:

Yes I'm real happy with the fit. Not sure on why the filler is off center. Maybe to give it more room on top. Thanks for the complinent on the scooter. As far as riding it, maybe it will get some trail time in later today and tomorrow. :devil:

Yes I'm real happy with the fit. Not sure on why the filler is off center. Maybe to give it more room on top. Thanks for the complinent on the scooter. As far as riding it, maybe it will get some trail time in later today and tomorrow. :devil:

JUST DO IT!!!:banana: