85 im10 should switch to the yz 85 or stay with my ttr 125?

yz85 has no power valve... be ready for some serious power lol.... if you are going to ride trails and stuff i would stay away from the yz85... but i dont know much about them smaller bikes

heres what i know from experiance.

yz=race bike
rm=race bike or woods bike (great all around)

then iv heard kx's are the best for trails.

overall i suggest the rm85.

My son is 10 next week 11yo, this year he will be on a yz85,,,it will be a little much at first for him but he will get used to it. If you ride trail go to a crf150 if you want more power, if you ride track go for the yz,rm,kx,ktm or cr they are all good bikes. Just take your time with it they are bad azz little bikes.

I think a ttr230 might be a little to big I.E. tall and heavy for you.

I put my son on a YZ85 when he was 12, rode a KX65 before that. The YZ works fine as an all around scooter. We ride mostly open dez, but here he is when he was 13, running up in the trees on it. I ran 1 tooth larger on the back in the beginning to give him a little more down low until he got use to it, then went back to the stock gearing.

If I was you, I would do a couple freebie mods to the TTR to get a little more power out of it. Ride it hard for another season, then bump up to the YZ.

Picture090.jpg

10 is that awkward age where you are almost too big for a 65 and not quite experienced enough for a 85.....:thinking:
However you do ride a ttr125 and thats a heavy bike so I would say go for the YZ85... they say the RM85 is the best bike for beginners and pro's alike because the power is easy to manage yet there is tons of power everywhere....:thinking:
I would pick an 85 that you like and ride the heck out of it.
Good luck champ :thumb:

Go for it. Though you are 10, you seem to be able to handle the TTR, so I say why not? Besides, the bike will last you as well if maintained and you will not outgrow it for a few more years.

Maybe a KX100 or KLX140 would be a better fit mellow but more power still. I dunno if those are the same size as a 85 or not. I thought they are but I could be wrong.

Maybe a KX100 or KLX140 would be a better fit mellow but more power still. I dunno if those are the same size as a 85 or not. I thought they are but I could be wrong.
well, the 100 is a big bore, big wheel 85 with a more manageable power band
The 140 is a basically the same size and power as the ttr 125

Have you gone through the welcome gauntlet yet? :naughty:

If you know how to ride there's no problem with getting as much power as possible. I could barely touch the ground when I had my first bike...I was able to ride it for several years before I wore it out. I wore it out before I out grew it. Just because the power's there, doesn't mean you have to use it...it's called control! :prof:...:ride:

Have you gone through the welcome gauntlet yet? :naughty:

If you know how to ride there's no problem with getting as much power as possible. I could barely touch the ground when I had my first bike...I was able to ride it for several years before I wore it out. I wore it out before I out grew it. Just because the power's there, doesn't mean you have to use it...it's called control! :prof:...:ride:

That is why my 14 yo and 18 yo is on YZ250's, no more bikes for them to grow out of. :smirk:

Well said! :thumb: