I'm screwed....

So I noticed the other day that my brake rotor appered to be bent. So I ordered a new one. Looking at it closer I relived that a mounting bolt had snapped off in the hub. So I Tryed to get it out with pliers no luck, it was stuck so then I tried an easy out, still no luck. I heated it up and still wouldn't budge. Long story short I decided to drill it out and re tap it. I got about halfway through it and then the drill bit bent and went of to the side into the Hub. So now half of the bolt is still there and I have a crooked hole in my hub. how hard is it to replace the rear hub? Is that something I can do my self and have it be semi straight?

It depends on how well you follow instructions. Usually if you are good at that, it means you are patient. I think I spent about 48 hours in 4 days making my first one straight. I was 15, no one else knew what to do, and the wheels had a different spoking system. Heck, I figure my first one would have been done in half the time with the hubs and spokes we have now!! So ask yourself Alex, are you feeling "patient"?

This sounds like a "rite of passage" thing to me.
It's something you should do, learn from, and use it as a stepping-stone to further your learning and wisdom, for use at a later date, as was given to you from ossagp...

IMO - it's already broke, you cant break it more.
Try to fix it if you can, if it's more cost effective.
If not, you'll probably still learn a valuable skill that I have not learned yet, one that might benefit you in the future someday...

Last edited:
Well its hard to say how bad the damage is, but i'm guessing to replace it you would work on it for days and it would cost tons of money for parts. What I would do is take it to a shop and pay about 100 dollars to have it fixed.