Gas Gas idle??

no offence intended plamer it was all a bit of light banter..Please don't opt out of my treads your opinion is valued along with many others at dba..Anyway 2SMOKE started it! lol its all his fault! !

and back to the topic..I know what u saying about the back wheel locking up..anyhow I like my bike to idle because I ride with my nephew so there's a lot of standing around waiting and watching while he struggles through the big ruts..and where I ride uv to open gates etc so it's handier to have the bike ideling and ready to go..what im trying to get at is will you still have the same kick off the bottom with the bike set up to idle???

cr 85. . what would cause a delay in the power valve..she's nearly reved out before the power valve kicks in...is there an adjustment to allow it open earlier?? or would it be a Singh that the rings/piston is gone? ?

cr 85. . what would cause a delay in the power valve..she's nearly reved out before the power valve kicks in...is there an adjustment to allow it open earlier?? or would it be a Singh that the rings/piston is gone? ?
have you checked the cleanliness of the PV? My bike has an adjustment on the side of the cylinder that I can turn that slows the hit of the valve but I don't know what you have so I wouldn't know.

It makes no difference in power if the bike idles or not. Now that topic is out of the way.

Like Jax said have you checked your power valve for cleanliness? If its gummed up that could delay it from opening when its supposed to. Or even prevent it from opening. Im not familiar with the CR85. So I cannot say how hard or easy it is to get in there to look at it or clean it. I know to do a proper job you pretty much have to take the cylinder off the bike to do a good inspection and cleaning if thats what it needs. As for actually being able to adjust it to make it open sooner for more "hit" or later for less "hit". I only know of one bike manufacture that does that. And thats the Suzuki. But only on a few select years that Im aware of. I know that the 92 RM allowed that. And apparently the 2001 RM also as Jax stated.

How long has it been since the CR has had a top end done. In my experience worn rings will make the bike want to run rich once it comes up to temperature. So if you dont know for sure when the last time the top end was done on that CR. NOW would be the time to do it because its getting to be spring time and prime riding lays ahead.

Oh and maybe I did start it. But that doesnt negate the fact that Palmer is an ASS. He knows (at least I think so) that I call him an ASS in jest.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Each circuit in the carburetor (except choke) is vital to the next circuits performance overall.
It's like a pyramid, each layer built on the next.
Idle circuit is a part of the main circuit... not physically, but systematically.

If the idle is too rich, then the needle and main circuits will be 'too rich' as well. (unless incorrectly jetted out)
If the idle is too Lean, then everything above idle will be lean. (unless incorrectly jetted out)

EX: If the idle circuit produces 10% of the fuel when properly jetted, the needle and main produce 90% of the fuel into the engine. If the idle circuit is too lean (say only producing 8%) then the needle and main circuits will also be 2% lower than they should be. (Unless incorrectly jetted out)

Idle is the #1 most important setting on a carburetor. It is the baseline for everything else the carburetor does. (Whether the engine stays running on it's own or not, does not matter)
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Last edited:
did you look for the POWER VALVE on that cr85????:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe the "delay in the powervalve" has come from a factory that was never convinced it was necessary.

I will go along with the pilot jet or low speed being the best starting point. For me to get that I like not to have to compensate for a bad float or bad setting.

Last edited:
did you look for the POWER VALVE on that cr85????:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe the "delay in the powervalve" has come from a factory that was never convinced it was necessary.

I will go along with the pilot jet or low speed being the best starting point. For me to get that I like not to have to compensate for a bad float or bad setting.

so your telling me theres no power valve in the cr 85?? but there is a sudden jump of revs right up at the top of the revs..im not too interested anymore in that cr my nephew has my wallet emptyed and my evenings wasted fixing it..so once the new basket goes in he can take it from there.my own bike has been neglected since I got it..I need to spend some bonding time with it..

It makes no difference in power if the bike idles or not. Now that topic is out of the way.

Like Jax said have you checked your power valve for cleanliness? If its gummed up that could delay it from opening when its supposed to. Or even prevent it from opening. Im not familiar with the CR85. So I cannot say how hard or easy it is to get in there to look at it or clean it. I know to do a proper job you pretty much have to take the cylinder off the bike to do a good inspection and cleaning if thats what it needs. As for actually being able to adjust it to make it open sooner for more "hit" or later for less "hit". I only know of one bike manufacture that does that. And thats the Suzuki. But only on a few select years that Im aware of. I know that the 92 RM allowed that. And apparently the 2001 RM also as Jax stated.

How long has it been since the CR has had a top end done. In my experience worn rings will make the bike want to run rich once it comes up to temperature. So if you dont know for sure when the last time the top end was done on that CR. NOW would be the time to do it because its getting to be spring time and prime riding lays ahead.

Oh and maybe I did start it. But that doesnt negate the fact that Palmer is an ASS. He knows (at least I think so) that I call him an ASS in jest.
so your telling me theres no power valve in the cr 85?? but there is a sudden jump of revs right up at the top of the revs..im not too interested anymore in that cr my nephew has my wallet emptyed and my evenings wasted fixing it..so once the new basket goes in he can take it from there.my own bike has been neglected since I got it..I need to spend some bonding time with it..

Yeah you do. You commented on "what did I do to deserve that". He'll I am older than you and I can at least remember for 24 hours!

Nope, sorry, I have no recollection of the irish drop soap game. I only have an exit door. :thumb:
What did I do anyway to deserve that? :thinking: