250F Idle problem

Okay, so instead of asking this question in the chat i decided to open up a thread.

Bike: 2003 yz250f

So i am having a weird problem i have been having for a few months now. When i put the bike into neutral it seems to idle high like its on choke, however right when i burp the throttle it goes back down and idles normally. Then right when i put it into gear and back into neutral it does it all over again, runs high till i burp the throttle.

What could be causing this? Where should i start?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Look for the air leak at the base gasket or intake boot.
Clean the carburetor for worn/clogged jets.
Visually inspect air filter for rips or where it may have come free at the seal. Should seal the airbox pretty tight with some lube-seal.

Try your idle mixture screw at 1.5 turns out. Get that hoe warmed up completely, like 15 minutes of riding. Then set the throttle screw to a high idle. Then adjust you idle mix screw leaner until the idle speed peaks. Then 1/8th or 1/4 turn back to the rich side. Try :ride: again. -BIG DAN:thumb:

It's called 'hanging idle' and usually it's because you have adjusted you fuel screw with the idle screw in to far. Drop your idle screw, and re-adjust your fuel screw for max idle. Repeat if needed.