I want a new(er) bike

Guys/Gals,
The more I look at my bike the more problems (leaks/breaks) I find...:cry:
* fork seals
* case
* head
* front brakes
* front axle ??? It's soaked with oil, may be coming from brake system...don't know!
* throttle housing - did that yesterday while tapping on it to move it up just a little.....crap. I broke it!

I like to ride not repair/build so fixing/refurbishing is out of the question...to this magnitude anyways! :shocked:

IF I were to look for another Husky what years are the best between 2005 and 2009...? Maybe a little older, however if I wanted old I might as well keep mine and overhaul it...refer to comment above :thumb:

I'd like to stick with a 510 and preferably a TXC since I ride only desert, I like the cross country gearing, etc...maybe a TE...:ride:

From my experience (2007 TE-510) all the years are solid bikes and all have a few well documented quirks / fixes that are required. Pre-2008 is Carburated so if you like playing with Jetting then look there. I've not ridden a FI bike but from everything I've heard they are great. There have been some reports of problems withe the Fuel Pump but I think that is par for the course and didn't seem to be a high number of bikes affected.

The list of "Required" fixes on any of the bikes is fairly small. X-Ring on the Clutch Slave, Metal "Y"pipe for the cooling system, extra heat protection on the airbxx of the 2008, etc.

My biggest recommendation would be to get a bike with a Plate. 2007 and newer TEs are all 50 state street legal. There are many 2006 plated TE's as well. Keep your eyes open on CraigsList for a deal. For example, there is currently a 2007 TE-510 with 500 miles on it for sale in Reno for $4200. And I just picked up a 2007 TE-450 with 222 miles for a buddy of mine for the sweet price of $3000.

From my experience (2007 TE-510) all the years are solid bikes and all have a few well documented quirks / fixes that are required. Pre-2008 is Carburated so if you like playing with Jetting then look there. I've not ridden a FI bike but from everything I've heard they are great. There have been some reports of problems withe the Fuel Pump but I think that is par for the course and didn't seem to be a high number of bikes affected.

The list of "Required" fixes on any of the bikes is fairly small. X-Ring on the Clutch Slave, Metal "Y"pipe for the cooling system, extra heat protection on the airbxx of the 2008, etc.

My biggest recommendation would be to get a bike with a Plate. 2007 and newer TEs are all 50 state street legal. There are many 2006 plated TE's as well. Keep your eyes open on CraigsList for a deal. For example, there is currently a 2007 TE-510 with 500 miles on it for sale in Reno for $4200. And I just picked up a 2007 TE-450 with 222 miles for a buddy of mine for the sweet price of $2200.

Thanks for the info and heads up...not doing anything yet...just thinking ahead when te opportunity arises. :thumb:

Husky? Will a new bike even help?

I'm on a 17 year old XR so quit your whining.

I would not even consider a newer bike without a plate unless the deal was incredible. Get a TE. Keep your eyes open and jump when opportunity shows itself.

You should try the mountains. Dodging the pine trees is a lot of fun. Trust me...

Husky? Will a new bike even help?

I'm on a 17 year old XR so quit your whining.

I would not even consider a newer bike without a plate unless the deal was incredible. Get a TE. Keep your eyes open and jump when opportunity shows itself.

You should try the mountains. Dodging the pine trees is a lot of fun. Trust me...

Not whining...my current bike is a 94...just don['t want to spend a ton on it to fix it...Like I said, I'm no mechanic, can do most of it but would rather ride instead of fix...if I wait to fix it it'd be forever before it gets done.

I've ridden in the mountains years ago before hey shut them (Big Bear area) down to dirtbikes...it was fun but I prefer to open desert....:thumb:

They are fairly bullet proof 2005-2009.

2006-2009 TEs have license plates
2006/7 are old school simple to use carbs - my vote on a budget, older & less expensive too.
2008/9 are efi

The TE & txc have the same gearbox, no difference

2006/2007 TE510 would be great, the 450 would work well too. If you don't care about the plate there are other options.

They did not change much during those years except an noted.

They are fairly bullet proof 2005-2009.

2006-2009 TEs have license plates
2006/7 are old school simple to use carbs - my vote on a budget, older & less expensive too.
2008/9 are efi

The TE & txc have the same gearbox, no difference

2006/2007 TE510 would be great, the 450 would work well too. If you don't care about the plate there are other options.

They did not change much during those years except an noted.

What do you think about the TXC's? I honestly don't care about it being street legal although if given the opportunity I may take it but am more interested in "dirt only" and the cross country version is what I'd prefer.

TXC is fantastic. Lighter than the TEs cause the street stuff is off, and many other minor things, I honestly don't remember the details.

The decision about a plate is really significant, you might want to be sure about that. Every year you get a bill from the dmv and a bill from your insurance company which you need to pay vs the green sticker fee. With the plate you can go anywhere, including in town on errands if need be. Some people use it as a spare vehicle on rare occasions.

The Husqvarnas are great bikes imho, but if you don't need a plate, not brand loyal, and on a tight budget, there are a bunch of choices out there. But the resale on Husqvarna bikes is not great so you may get a great deal.

TXC is fantastic. Lighter than the TEs cause the street stuff is off, and many other minor things, I honestly don't remember the details.

The decision about a plate is really significant, you might want to be sure about that. Every year you get a bill from the dmv and a bill from your insurance company which you need to pay vs the green sticker fee. With the plate you can go anywhere, including in town on errands if need be. Some people use it as a spare vehicle on rare occasions.

The Husqvarnas are great bikes imho, but if you don't need a plate, not brand loyal, and on a tight budget, there are a bunch of choices out there. But the resale on Husqvarna bikes is not great so you may get a great deal.

Mornin Coffee....As the cowboys in the old days would say...."I ride for the brand"! I've always wanted a Husky since I was a kid. I finally bought my 1st Husky a couple years ago (the 94 I've shown and discussed on here). As Husky's ad says (or said) "Ride Different". I definately do...except for the 85 XR600 I had my other bikes weren't what everyone else was riding. Now, as for the plate not important, never ridden street bikes so it's totally insignificant. As for the DMV costs...which is more costly? I'm assuming the plated version...I want to stick with a Husky.......I just wish my local dealer (MS) backed them like he does KTM!

Now, as for the plate not important, never ridden street bikes so it's totally insignificant. As for the DMV costs...which is more costly? I'm assuming the plated version...I want to stick with a Husky.......

For the benifits of having a plate where you ride, cleonard should really give input. I don't ride so cal, but find it incredibly convenient to have a plate for a multitude of reasons.

The cost for the plate is exactly like a car, based on value, which is almost always more than the $ for the green sticker. Insurance is not terrible, many policies are under $100 last I checked, depending on a variety of things.

For the benifits of having a plate where you ride, cleonard should really give input. I don't ride so cal, but find it incredibly convenient to have a plate for a multitude of reasons.

The cost for the plate is exactly like a car, based on value, which is almost always more than the $ for the green sticker. Insurance is not terrible, many policies are under $100 last I checked, depending on a variety of things.

I'll probably stick with the green sticker.......................:thumb:...:ride:

I love my plated bike. It' great to be able ride the pavement and not have to worry. These day a lot of dirt roads are plate required as well. The no plate ticket is small starting at $100 from the feds to a few hundred from the state. The killer is no insurance on the plate required road. That starts at $1200.

Yes it does cost about an extra $100/yr, but I think it is worth it. The extra freedom is really nice. I will alway have a plated bike. I have been thinking of getting another bike. Maybe a two stroke...

On a couple of occasions I have taken my dirt bike to work. :devil::thinking:

Hey one important thing I forgot about.

BMW has announced that they are discontinuing part support for all old Husky models. I don't exactly know, but it would royally suck to buy a few year old bike and find that there are no parts available.

Hey one important thing I forgot about.

BMW has announced that they are discontinuing part support for all old Husky models. I don't exactly know, but it would royally suck to buy a few year old bike and find that there are no parts available.

Plated - Something to think about ONCE I get to that point.

Parts/BMW - Who would then be responsible for part support? It sucks now (from what I've heard from the dealer), I couldn't imagine if that were the case!

Parts/BMW - Who would then be responsible for part support? It sucks now (from what I've heard from the dealer), I couldn't imagine if that were the case!

I don't remember the exact wording of the announcement. It was something like all of the non current Husky bikes would loose part support. That means no parts period. As in it would suck to own one. I'm sure that coffee can provide more details. All I know is I would be worried if I had a Husky.