hy new here and to dirt bike

ok so 44:1 is a thin mix in other words less oil is that right so if i put in what the manual suggested i do it will be better im new to dirt bikes and i dont whant to brake the bike im in love with the thing

Always follow the engine manufacturers oil specs. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

lots of us subscribe to more oil is better than less oil when it comes to anything other than saving money on oil. KTM specifies what oil to run at 60-1 and I am certain that you will get reasonable life from a KTM following their instructions, as I am sure that you will get the same following yamaha's suggestions.

ok so 44:1 is a thin mix in other words less oil is that right so if i put in what the manual suggested i do it will be better im new to dirt bikes and i dont whant to brake the bike im in love with the thing
Simply changing the premix ratio will not fix the jetting problem however

I would start with mixing the oil to the manufacturers specs. Clean the carburetor, inspect the jet sizes, and set the float. (dont miss the last part of that sentence.) compare the jet sizes to stock. If they are within 1-2 sizes on the main jet and within 3 sizes on the pilot jet I would ride it some more and see if it runs cleanly and without fouling the plug. Look at the plug for color etc and see if you like the way it runs in general. Jets are spendy and it almost seems that particularly on on older bike with the gas we have today as compared to 89, no one seems to think opitimum jetting is oe.

Setting the float will very likely lean your overall mix out, unless it was just reset. Few people EVER do it, so don't assume it has been done even or especially if a shop has had it recently. The float level ALWAYS raises as the rig is ridden. Default setting on the airscrew is 1.5

Places like bike bandit at least show an exploded view of the carburetor so you have an idea of where things go. with digital cams now it is easy to record that too.

Last edited:
I would start with mixing the oil to the manufacturers specs. Clean the carburetor, inspect the jet sizes, and set the float. (dont miss the last part of that sentence.) compare the jet sizes to stock. If they are within 1-2 sizes on the main jet and within 3 sizes on the pilot jet I would ride it some more and see if it runs cleanly and without fouling the plug. Look at the plug for color etc and see if you like the way it runs in general. Jets are spendy and it almost seems that particularly on on older bike with the gas we have today as compared to 89, no one seems to think opitimum jetting is oe.

Setting the float will very likely lean your overall mix out, unless it was just reset. Few people EVER do it, so don't assume it has been done even or especially if a shop has had it recently. The float level ALWAYS raises as the rig is ridden. Default setting on the airscrew is 1.5

Places like bike bandit at least show an exploded view of the carburetor so you have an idea of where things go. with digiatal cams now it is easy to record that too.
Cool lots of great info there I'm glad I joined this forum

i ran 80 :1 in my RM for a couple years,with amsoil. never had a problem, but i wouldn't recommend it, i was just seeing what would happen.....nothing as it turned out.

That's crazy!!!!
I borrowed a buddy's KTM 125 a few yrs back for an east coast ride weekend. I couldn't bring myself to mix it at 44:1. I knew I would have it redlined so I mixed at 28:1 same as my kids 85. Bike never ran better lol.

That's crazy!!!!
I borrowed a buddy's KTM 125 a few yrs back for an east coast ride weekend. I couldn't bring myself to mix it at 44:1. I knew I would have it redlined so I mixed at 28:1 same as
my kids 85. Bike never ran better lol.

Don't tell anybody but they called me senseless Steve when I was a kid, seriously though, others have had reliability at that ratio with Amsoil, so I tried it also.

Don't tell anybody but they called me senseless Steve when I was a kid, seriously though, others have had reliability at that ratio with Amsoil, so I tried it also.

I look at it this way. When you change the oil in your car it takes 5 quarts..... Next time you change the oil in your car only put 2.5 quarts in.