How to tell if my jetting is right

Sound. Plug chop test. Check your jets and compare to what the factory spec is. Jetting is hard to set if your top end is worn out. Always start with fresh top end and freshly packed silencer. When trying to straighten out jetting. :prof:

if your bike starts cold without the choke it may be too rich and have a too large pilot jet. If it cuts out wide open pinned after it is all warmed up it may be too rich on the main jet. If gas pours out the overflow when you kick or lean the bike over like on a kickstand then the float level is possibly too high and will cause low end running problems. These are basic non complicated things you can do as a rookie to start.

if your bike starts cold without the choke it may be too rich and have a too large pilot jet. If it cuts out wide open pinned after it is all warmed up it may be too rich on the main jet. If gas pours out the overflow when you kick or lean the bike over like on a kickstand then the float level is possibly too high and will cause low end running problems. These are basic non complicated things you can do as a rookie to start.

had a look at this post and it opened my eyes to some problems i might have..(too rich) first my bike always starts first kick without the choke i never took notice as i thought it was a good thing..and since i done the top end i seem to be down on top end power (when the power valve kicks in) what would u sugest i do.?? had the air screw out 1 and a half turns then and extra 1/4 turn or more with no real difference.(kx125) i think the jets are stock everything on the bike seems to be stock..

the first thing I would do is take the carb apart and write down the jets that are in it, the needle number and what clip from the top it is in. Then compare to the stock jetting per the book. Then it would come down to your elevation, float level, clip setting, is the PV opening or sticking, silencer packed, plug good, etc. Always start with whats in it vs what you think is in it. Work from there. Generally tho, your pilot jet or float level is too big/too high as a start since it starts cold no choke.

the first thing I would do is take the carb apart and write down the jets that are in it, the needle number and what clip from the top it is in. Then compare to the stock jetting per the book. Then it would come down to your elevation, float level, clip setting, is the PV opening or sticking, silencer packed, plug good, etc. Always start with whats in it vs what you think is in it. Work from there. Generally tho, your pilot jet or float level is too big/too high as a start since it starts cold no choke.
I know for a fact that I have bad packing in my bike

SRAD97750

Staff member
iv noticed my exhaust still blows a bit around where it mets the cylinder even with the new o rings is that normal or should it be a complete seal..i used gasket seal there before and it work perfect
It should seal completely.

ok took carb apart to see what size jets i had..(its not stock like i thought) any tuneing advice would be great as i hope to go to a h&h this weekend.. so
jet needle mine = N20L /3rd clip down stock = N1KM /4th clip down uploadfromtaptalk1392420958169.jpg
main jet mine= 162 stock =165 uploadfromtaptalk1392421076073.jpg
slow jet mine 42 stock= #50 E #48 uploadfromtaptalk1392421160013.jpg
flot 40 uploadfromtaptalk1392421204440.jpg
flot valve needle looks good uploadfromtaptalk1392421276571.jpg
stock 125 exhaust