How to learn to ride

How did you learn to ride

• 1. I took lessons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i pretty much taught myself... the first bike i owned i bought off a co worker and i wasn't sure how i'd be on it so he let me test ride it around the block. Well i ended up doing great on it and riding wheelies and stuff on the street in front of his house so there was pretty much no backing down from buying it after that!

James

Staff member
Mostly trial and error, didn't really have any riding buddies the first year to help me out. :pout: But know it isn't that hard to find somebody to ride with, well that's if they weren't all hurt. :foul: :lol:

Taught myself throttle control after looping out.
Figured out that my suspension was to stiff after I kept on getting slapped on the butt with the seat. :lol:
Learned to keep my weight back/centered after endoing.:cry:
and many more things.

We won't mention the whoops. :moon: :smirk:

I voted # 1 but that was only half of how i learned.

the 2nd half was.... and i cant believe you didnt put this as an option in the poll.... the internet/DBA. I learned quite a bit from you guys about riding the track, which i have noticed DOES help me be better on the trails as well. I posted lots of vids of me riding and some pics and asked what am i doing wrong and you guys told me. :thumb:

My dad taught me! He had a 73 Yamaha 360 and I was 4. He would get on the back and get me into 3rd gear (since I could not touch the pegs) and I would roll off the throttle so he could jump off the back. I would cruise around in 3rd gear (yeah Rack 3RD GEAR) until I was done riding, then I would circle camp and yell for him. He would come out and run next to me and grab the clutch and break to stop me. I did that until I got my 80 when I 6.

I am still trying to learn how to ride. I have a feeling I will be schooled here shortly :devil:

My issue is I can"t get out of second gear :foul:

Taught myself. When I was first learning, my major problem was getting out of neutral to first gear. I remember always stalling it and shit , but once I got out of neutral, I was fucking out of there!

My dad taught me, well sorta,, "here boy get on,change the gears like this, now hang on and be carefull". That is about the extent of my training. The rest am still learning and if you think you know it all, just wait until the next time you ride and you will learn and new way to fall. :lol:

I bought a bike two years ago and have been beating myself to death with it ever since. :lol:

I think learning to ride has more to do with seat time than lessons. Sure you can get advice and technique tips but until you apply them they mean nothing. My first year I spent over 350 hours on my bike and 12000 miles. That got me a good start. :thumb: Now I'm sitting at 18000 miles and over 550 hours on the bike. More seat time=better riding and less crashing.

James

Staff member
My dad taught me, well sorta,, "here boy get on,change the gears like this, now hang on and be carefull". That is about the extent of my training. The rest am still learning and if you think you know it all, just wait until the next time you ride and you will learn and new way to fall. :lol:
:lol: Ain't that the truth. :cry:
I think learning to ride has more to do with seat time than lessons. Sure you can get advice and technique tips but until you apply them they mean nothing. More seat time=better riding and less crashing.
:thumb: Very true.

BTW cool you might find some useful things in here (link below) or just create a thread in there if you have questions. :thumb:
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/everything-dirt-bike/riding-technique/

i learned throttle&braking and stuff on a quad a cheap 110cc wildfire (chinese bike), i taught my self (other than my dad telling me where the gas&brakes were and a few pointers here and there) then i learned to use a clutch on a yamaha warrior 350 (quad) my friend told me to give it some gas and let go then i was fine, i rode a dirtbike the first time when a was 12 (crf80f) then in march of this year i had turned 13 the month before i got the bike i learned on at 12 rode it for 6 or 7 mos then got an rm85 and iv had it for about a month and blew the top end.:picard: