2 Stroke How to fix a kickstart that wont grab

Hey everyone. I have never worked on a dirtbike before. I have a 1974 TC125. I got it for free, the guy says it works. So far it definitely does not.
I ordered a kickstart, because it was missing. Cost me 120 off ebay, rippoff but whatever.
I put it on the bike, kicked it over, grabbed once. Now it just clicks and turns and the motor wont turn over. I took the side cover off. There are no broken teeth, no metal shaving. everything looks brand new. If i hand crank the kickstart slowly, it will turn over, but give it any pressure and it will not grab. How do i fix this. It looks absolutely brand new in there with no obvious missing parts.
I did a big no-no and ordered about $400 worth of parts off ebay before i even knew if it ran.....need some help now before the old lady kills me...

I personally have never heard of a problem like yours. I would disassemble and see if somthing is broke or missing. Or maybe the lever you purchased has the wrong kogs. I think that is what they are called. Which means the lever is wrong. Not suer what it could be. Trying to help.

I will take some pictures and try to show what is happening. I have the right kickstart. It fits perfect on the whatchemacallit it goes on. I can see the gear, the first one turned by the kickstart...it does grab the 'starting' gear and turn over the motor. The ring gear has no broken teeth at all looks mint. Both of them do. There is a part that must 'push up' to grab ahold of the gear and it backs when engine engages. That little piece is not being "pushed" onto the starter gear hard enough. it grabs but then with any pressure it slips. Looks insanely hard to get to the other side to see what happening. The whole assembly is behind metal framing when the cover comes off. Looks like i would have to go in from the other side of the motor. iLL GET ON THOSE PICS TOO.

SRAD97750

Staff member
5.jpg

That is one oldschool kick starter system.

Take a good photo of (11) as it is the gear that pushes the assembly into the engine drive gear. (Idler on most bikes)

Now check that the idler gear and back of the clutch basket gear isn't missing any teeth. That's where you'll find breakage 9 times out of 10.

Photos would help alot. Perhaps a video of the action. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Hello I have a 89 KLR 250 I just bought and the guys said it had no problem.. He lied. It kicked over when I first got it but 2 days later it started doing this exact thing! I took the cover off and seriously everything looks great to me, I am completely clueless and what to do and I already have over 200$ in this bike in parts! If any has any idea let me hear them! Just to shorten the list of possibilities, the teeth are perfect, it's the original kickstart so it's the right one. It all the sudden just quit so I don't think it is anything serious because it broke while not being ridden. Thanks a lot!

Hello I have a 89 KLR 250 I just bought and the guys said it had no problem.. He lied. It kicked over when I first got it but 2 days later it started doing this exact thing! I took the cover off and seriously everything looks great to me, I am completely clueless and what to do and I already have over 200$ in this bike in parts! If any has any idea let me hear them! Just to shorten the list of possibilities, the teeth are perfect, it's the original kickstart so it's the right one. It all the sudden just quit so I don't think it is anything serious because it broke while not being ridden. Thanks a lot!

Read the qoute below.....

View attachment 19987

That is one oldschool kick starter system.

Take a good photo of (11) as it is the gear that pushes the assembly into the engine drive gear. (Idler on most bikes)

Now check that the idler gear and back of the clutch basket gear isn't missing any teeth. That's where you'll find breakage 9 times out of 10.

Photos would help alot. Perhaps a video of the action. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Here is your diagram.
Untitled-1.jpg

Here is a terrible video of my 86 KDX which has exactly the same components.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFmhCuK0EPw
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Hey everyone. I have never worked on a dirtbike before. I have a 1974 TC125. I got it for free, the guy says it works. So far it definitely does not.
I ordered a kickstart, because it was missing. Cost me 120 off ebay, rippoff but whatever.
I put it on the bike, kicked it over, grabbed once. Now it just clicks and turns and the motor wont turn over. I took the side cover off. There are no broken teeth, no metal shaving. everything looks brand new. If i hand crank the kicks tart slowly, it will turn over, but give it any pressure and it will not grab. How do i fix this. It looks absolutely brand new in there with no obvious missing parts.
I did a big no-no and ordered about $400 worth of parts off ebay before i even knew if it ran.....need some help now before the old lady kills me...
my 1989 cr250 is doing the same, wont grab when you kick it fast but when you go rly slow it will grab