Homeade Dirt Bike Parts!

I thought this would be a great thread to start to get some insight and ideas on the parts that you make yourself to better your bike. If you have made something for your bike, please share here with photos and a description of what you did.

I'll start with the Vapor Stealth Computer dash I built just a few days ago out of boredom. It is highly functional, sturdy, fits all the things I need, and sure does look cool. I used a piece of 1/8" piece of aluminum plate, designed and cut to shape. Then I aligned the items I wanted on the dash and drilled holes accordingly. After all sawing and drilling was done I wet sanded in multiple stages finishing out with 1200 grit. I will be painting it black and then clear coating it later. This is about my fifth design as it has changed depending on the items I needed. Cost was about $20 after all was said and done for the switches, metal, and dash lights. Add another $5 for painting cost.

The blue dash light is to let me know that my lights are on. The green ones are for left and right blinker. The right switch is for ignition as I broke my keyed ignition at Moon Rock in an endo over a boulder. The left switch is for lights and puts both high and low beam on at the same time. Also in the pic you will notice a little plate with a ram mount on it. I found that to be the sweetest location for the ram mount without it sticking up to the moon.

Here is the old one that I built that got destroyed in the boulder endo.
IMG_2476.jpg

Here is the new one which will be painted like the old one.
IMG_4531.jpg

Custom Led blinker set into the plastic. No more broken blinkers on trail rides. No more broken bulbs.
IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Diamond Plate case savers/engine guards. Made them by hand with no power tools.
RectifierDP.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

Nice DIY parts! Somehow i don't believe you made those engine guards with no power..how did you get them so smooth and round? I've seen people make some pretty sweet case savers from aluminum. I need to try my hand at that. :thinking:

Nice DIY parts! Somehow i don't believe you made those engine guards with no power..how did you get them so smooth and round? I've seen people make some pretty sweet case savers from aluminum. I need to try my hand at that. :thinking:

A drill was used to make the center hole on the left engine side. Otherwise all by hand with hacksaw and files. then sandpaper.

I now this isn't bike worthy however it's worth the chuckle factor...A buddy of mine who really gets a thrill out of NOT BUYING anything because he figures he can make it SO MUCH CHEAPER...Now, he has a quad ding ding ding...quadtard...beat you to it! He made his own cooler rack out of angle iron...Nice corners so when you're throwing your leg over (on or off) and hit it it'll leave a mark...UGLY as sin and to make this even better...it's too small!

what about a popcorn popping helmet ventalator ? :popcorn:

Fo sho

I now this isn't bike worthy however it's worth the chuckle factor...A buddy of mine who really gets a thrill out of NOT BUYING anything because he figures he can make it SO MUCH CHEAPER...Now, he has a quad ding ding ding...quadtard...beat you to it! He made his own cooler rack out of angle iron...Nice corners so when you're throwing your leg over (on or off) and hit it it'll leave a mark...UGLY as sin and to make this even better...it's too small!

LOL:lol:

James

Staff member
Dang that's very impressive Rock, I almost think it'd look better with the current color (sliver/stock). :noidea:

Thanks James. I am still going back and forth on paint or no paint. Maybe I should just polish it a little and clear coat it. I will do a test run on some other aluminum and tell you what I think. :thumb:

Very impressive Rock - good work. That mount looks factory. I'm kind of with James on the color. :thumb:

One question - what did you use to fasten the case savers??

Very impressive Rock - good work. That mount looks factory. I'm kind of with James on the color. :thumb:

One question - what did you use to fasten the case savers??

The case savers are mounted with black RTV high temp gasket maker found at your local auto stores.
If you ever have to take them off the best way is with a guitar string between two sticks kinda like a cheese cutter.