home surveillance

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have used a couple different systems. They all have upsides and downsides.
Lorex is an awesome system when using PTZ cameras. They have quality (chinese) products.
Right now the harbor freight wired units are dirt cheap ($219) and have decent usage for the average startup beginner.
I have used both and the the wireless stuff obviously is easier to install.

I make magnetic pads for the base and these cameras can be moved if so desired.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Home defense posts removed, if you have a comment regarding Surveillance cameras that store the data on a dvr or cloud device and your experience is relevant, let's hear it.

I have cameras out on the property over an hour away that capture the daily stuff I am not around to see, I also can check them live on my phone anytime.
With a 1Tb drive, I get about 530 hours of 1080p, or some division of that based on number of cameras. 4k cameras will eat 4x that.

Surveillance is useful to see what happened and less about what is currently happening. Who left this package/letter? Why did the trashman move the cans 7 feet to the left? Which frickin dog is chewing up the fence? How/when did this get here? -BIG DAN:thumb:

I don’t know what you mean. Then again I don’t remember what I posted.
I may posted this:
WiFi IP 1080P Camera, COOCHEER Motion Detection with Instant Alarm, Sound Detection Security Wireless Camera, Two-Way Audio, Night Vision, Baby Remote Surveillance Monitor with MicroSD Slot and Cloud https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S92ZQZV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3IYlEbV3R5VPS

I bought it to keep an eye on my step kid while we were away last summer. My wife overheard him talk about throwing a party. It has an alert for movement.
BONER.

I recently installed a Reolink NVR system at my place. They have 4K and 5K camera's with infrared and are about $50.00 each. I bought an 8-channel PoE system and its pretty cool. Did some price shopping and IRC I got the whole thing for like $650.00.
It allows alerts to be sent to your phone, and you can control and view the cameras from the phone as well.
The only thing it doesn't do is alert the police.

Don’t buy night owl whatever you do. Huge POS system. Both times over 3 years I needed to review footage the data was missing. Motion sensor hard wired cameras, DVR saved the clips before and after the event, but the actual event was missing. Once my idiot neighbor was racing around in his golf cart at 12 am after several beers and crashed into my sons car( in our driveway ) and once another idiot backed into my daughters car. Fortunately both confessed, and I didn’t need the footage but it drove me crazy that it wasn’t there.