Home Made Tracks anyone have one

I just got my track dozed out on my Property. I have some really thick woods that weren’t being used so I decided to have a bulldozer come in and doze me in one. I still have allot of work to do on it. I figure I will rent a skid steer and build corners and jumps. This is right after he left with the dozer of three laps around it. Anyone else have one they built? Give some tips on the easiest, cheapest and best way to finish out one?

James

Staff member
Looks pretty sweet, the only problem I see regrading putting jumps in is, how are you going to get the dirt in? Start in the back and work forward or are there other entrances for the dump truck? A lot of people (not necessarily you as I don't know you) don't realize how much dirt is actually needed to build jumps. The double in the image below took over 40 dump truck loads, can only imagine how many more if it didn't have those tubes. :bonk: Then again not sure how big/many jumps you're wanting. You're also going to want to put a layer of hard pack (think clay mixture) on the face of the jumps unless you want to be refacing them all the time. Another thing to remember if you go big is since the trees are so close you might want to trim some branches, if there's a chance you might hit them. :cripple:

Keep us updated on the progress. :thumb:

Double_3.jpg

Looks pretty sweet, the only problem I see regrading putting jumps in is, how are you going to get the dirt in? Start in the back and work forward or are there other entrances for the dump truck? A lot of people (not necessarily you as I don't know you) don't realize how much dirt is actually needed to build jumps. The double in the image below took over 40 dump truck loads, can only imagine how many more if it didn't have those tubes. :bonk: Then again not sure how big/many jumps you're wanting. You're also going to want to put a layer of hard pack (think clay mixture) on the face of the jumps unless you want to be refacing them all the time. Another thing to remember if you go big is since the trees are so close you might want to trim some branches, if there's a chance you might hit them. :cripple:

View attachment 125

Yeah, there are other entrances that you really don't see in the Vid. I can't imagine going really big as this will not be a pro course or a public one. Me, my son and friends are going to be only ones to ride it. I am trimming back the braches and edges and so far what I have done has really opened it up. I know that vid makes it look really small but there are only a few big trees that squeeze in the track here and there. I am thinking of cutting them out but IDK. I have 22 total acres so where I get the dirt to build the jumps most likely will be from some part of the property maybe where I want a big pond :smirk: You are probably on a few hours from where it is if you are up in N. Indiana. My place is in Battletown KY. Once I get it done, might be next summer as money and time permits you can come down and ride it.:thumb:

James

Staff member
Yeah, there are other entrances that you really don't see in the Vid. I can't imagine going really big as this will not be a pro course or a public one. Me, my son and friends are going to be only ones to ride it. I am trimming back the braches and edges and so far what I have done has really opened it up. I know that vid makes it look really small but there are only a few big trees that squeeze in the track here and there. I am thinking of cutting them out but IDK. I have 22 total acres so where I get the dirt to build the jumps most likely will be from some part of the property maybe where I want a big pond :smirk:
Ok I was wondering that, you'd be pretty screwed if you could only get in one way. Yeah videos can be deceiving, sounds like you have a plan. :thumb: :lol: If I remember right he got the dirt for all the jumps from his irrigation pond.
You are probably on a few hours from where it is if you are up in N. Indiana. My place is in Battletown KY. Once I get it done, might be next summer as money and time permits you can come down and ride it.:thumb:
Just Googled it, 6 hour drive so it would have to be more then a day stop. :ride:

James

Staff member
wow:shocked: you must be way up there. No problem here, it is all country, make a weekend party. barn fires, beer and bikes:banana:
Yup, about 2-3 miles from MI and I see that you're almost literally a stones throw from IN. :lol:

:thinking: Maybe stop in next year after Loretta's, practically go right past your house on the way. (I65)

thats so awesome. and i want to sell my house in california and someday move somewhere where i have lots of land and am able to do exactly this.

yeah, you actually pass by my house but I don't live on my property where the track is. I do live really close to 65 though. I live in louisville. My property is about an hour from my house.

View attachment 125

On our track, we just scooped up some dirt with the tractor, then get a hose and mix it up. we still have a jump that has been there for about 2-3 years now and the lip of it is still amazing and not rutted out too bad. :prof:

thats so awesome. and i want to sell my house in california and someday move somewhere where i have lots of land and am able to do exactly this.

Yeah, my place is pretty cool. The closest house is 1/2 mile away. I would love to live there but my job is about 1 1/2 hrs away and I can't afford to drive back and forth. So this is just a weekend get away for me. I am putting a 29ft travel trailor on it so I have a place to stay on the weekends. The one I have now is only 16ft and it is more or less just a bed with lights. I one I just bought has a slide out, air, heat, fridge,stove and a shower. I will be there alot more.:smirk:

James

Staff member
yeah, you actually pass by my house but I don't live on my property where the track is. I do live really close to 65 though. I live in louisville. My property is about an hour from my house.
Dang, that would suck, I'm lucky to have that private track only 15 min away. As all the sanctioned tracks are 1 - 1 1/2 hours away, I'm thinking there's like 7-8 of them though. :ride:
On our track, we just scooped up some dirt with the tractor, then get a hose and mix it up. we still have a jump that has been there for about 2-3 years now and the lip of it is still amazing and not rutted out too bad. :prof:
:thumb: I think that's about the same as what he did except he got it out of the pond wet and then just packed it on, our soil is a little different up here though.

Dang, that would suck, I'm lucky to have that private track only 15 min away. As all the sanctioned tracks are 1 - 1 1/2 hours away, I'm thinking there's like 7-8 of them though. :ride:

Yeah, it does suck having to go that far, but anything close to where I live, the price of land goes astronomical. I really only bought the place for hunting. As time goes on, I see that my passion for riding is becoming more so. Hence the dirt bike track on my hunting land :lol: