Hi my name is Joe

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome! What are you planning on doing with it? MX or just trail riding?
Height weight? Experience riding?

-BIG DAN:thumb:

I am thinking about a Yamaha yz 125 or a Honda cr or crf I would be most likely be trail riding I live not for from the willson and Trask unit in Oregon I'm 5'9" and weigh about 120 pounds

Oh and my riding experience I have very little I rode with a friend when I was 10 he had a little 90 cc pit bike and we just road flat land in a field

Welcome to the forum. How much are you saving? Previous owner maintenance is the key to getting a reliable ride regardless of brand. BUT a yz125 is budget friendly, and if you have to have a shop do a top and bottom end for you, it’s not quite as painful as a 4T. I suggest buying a 2004+ yz125 and have a local shop totally rebuild it for you. Previous owners lie, and it’s best to have an engine you know is new and how it has been ridden. Don’t know about your area, but Here in TX you can get a decent used model for 12-14 and go ahead and save the 1k for a total rebuild. Youre in for $2,500 but have a bike you know won’t seize up on you after 3 rides and trail ridden gently can last a while.

Last edited:
Just where can you get a YZ for 12 - 1400... I'm in deep so. TX. Mexico border , can't find anything south of Austin .. willing to travel , with trailer , need 125s for resale .. prefer 4t . Got bucks , will spend ....

Welcome to the forum. How much are you saving? Previous owner maintenance is the key to getting a reliable ride regardless of brand. BUT a yz125 is budget friendly, and if you have to have a shop do a top and bottom end for you, it’s not quite as painful as a 4T. I suggest buying a 2004+ yz125 and have a local shop totally rebuild it for you. Previous owners lie, and it’s best to have an engine you know is new and how it has been ridden. Don’t know about your area, but Here in TX you can get a decent used model for 12-14 and go ahead and save the 1k for a total rebuild. Youre in for $2,500 but have a bike you know won’t seize up on you after 3 rides and trail ridden gently can last a while.

Right now I'm just looking and getting facts on buying a bike I'm gonna start putting money away this Wednesday when when I get my paycheck from work I did find a 1982 yz490 for 800 but I'm over it pretty much the kick start lever is broke and also the specs on the bike said it's 230 pounds I don't think I could handle that much weight to be honest and also 1982 that's a dinosaur I don't know if I could get parts for the bike if something major broke so I'm just going to keep to my plan and keep saving money for a 125 cc bike

Let us know where that is , we will rescue it .... look for a125 cc any Japanese brand , 2 or 4t ... very well built , try to stay away from CR 150 R . Very fragil in valve , cam area . Try to stay away from full race bikes ..... Most trail bikes are decent , well made . Yamaha is usually the best buy , IMO ........ then Hon . Kaw, Suz, .......

I sold my sons 03 yz125 20 hrs on top and 60 on bottom for $1,250 and there was some price range competition online which is why. Had it listed for 14 and first test rider bought it. That was 2015