Hi, I'm New.

I just checked it out a little more stock caliber just cable relocated with an extra bracket. That's a nice yz too from what I can see from the pic. How do you like running a light on a 2stroke? Did you have to change the stator and what brand did you go with if you did? @PALMER84ONE
Haha and yea once I get my stator replaced we can race, that's a nice and clean bike too @MY-BLUE-BEAST

I havent had a chance to ride this one yet, its a 1984 YZ490. Im rebuilding the motor at the moment from top to bottom.

I've read that 490's are wicked beasts. Looks to be in really nice shape for the year. You going to vintage class race it? If not, have you looked into upgrading the suspension too while you're at it? I read a guys blog he had upgraded the front and rear and he said it made a huge difference in the handling and ride quality @MY-BLUE-BEAST

I've read that 490's are wicked beasts. Looks to be in really nice shape for the year. You going to vintage class race it? If not, have you looked into upgrading the suspension too while you're at it? I read a guys blog he had upgraded the front and rear and he said it made a huge difference in the handling and ride quality @MY-BLUE-BEAST

Im not sure what im going to do at this point. I dont race so ill probably just take it to a field and set a land speed record :smirk:. I have yet to be on a 490, but ive ridden 500s and a 480. From what I hear the 490 is just too wicked. I couldnt pass it up, $200 for the bike so im not complaining.

200 is a steal I'm kind of jealous I wish i could come across a deal like that around my way, specially for a classic like that.
But after you get it rebuilt you gotta let me know what it's like @MY-BLUE-BEAST

200 for a yz with the funny front hub is a have to have item.

Funny front hub? do explain.

200 is a steal I'm kind of jealous I wish i could come across a deal like that around my way, specially for a classic like that.
But after you get it rebuilt you gotta let me know what it's like @MY-BLUE-BEAST

yeah I thought so to, I wont have that much into it when its all said and done, but then again Im not doing a full restore. Should be fun. After I get my 175 done im going to start work on it.

Funny front hub? do explain.

yeah I thought so to, I wont have that much into it when its all said and done, but then again Im not doing a full restore. Should be fun. After I get my 175 done im going to start work on it.
Oh nice, full restore would be pretty pricey with it being older and parts maybe being a little harder to find

LOLOLOL thanks brad there for squaring me away on the drum/disk thing!! Blue, take a look at the front hub really good, look at the spokes. See if they are not what some like me call a Z spoke. If it is, just take the front wheel off and put it away. Keep it, to show others. Actually was a design that had a lot of promise for it's time. The drawback is that I bet you cant get a spoke for it now. If you look close and I am correct on the year you will see that the spoke extends as a single piece from one nipple, goes through the hub and continues on to the nipple 180 degrees away from the first nipple. You can find a wheel to replace that with easily, even going to a disk if you want, and that 490 when crisp can sure make use of some extra stopping power. Yamaha had the best drum brakes of the day, but the best drum loses to the worst disk in this case.

those are 43 mm forks, you can get them off of about anything. you can also get a wide ratio transmission off the IT series that will make that critter happy going 5 mph out to about 115. I wish they still made it. if you want to know more about building one for "screaming" I can get you in touch with someone who can tell you what he has done to keep his winning professional ice races for the last 25 years.