Help....me Out? Carb/fuel problems

Thanks everyone for all the input. I tapped the carb bowl a few times with the rubber end of a hammer with the throttle slightly open and it seem to have done the trick:thumb:

Another thing I'm noticing with it after running for a little bit. Is that it oozing and spitting oil out of the exhaust and I'm running a 32:1 mix.
If you flooded it thats normal, if it does that at other times, it's a jetting problem

Haha. It hasn't been flooded at all since rebuild. But I'm thinking to most of the spoog is from before it was rebuilt and I didn't get all of it cleaned out and it's heating it up.

I post from my computer but then do everything else from my phone@coryu

Float adjustment is made with the screw on the side right above the bowl? @bobkyle2

When you do as mike suggests the fuel running over and the so called spooging will get better. While you are in there check to see what jets are in yours. write the numbers down. Sometimes a previous owner(s) do a bandaid fix on the rising float levels, but putting smaller jets in. If you actually set them the way they should be set you can then be faced with a lean running condition. So if yours is more than 2-3 sizes smaller, particularly on the mainjet I would get something close to stock back in it and do a few plug readings and rides to see if you needed the leaner jets.

It is the most neglected part of a tuneup and one of the reasons I get good deals on 5-8 year old bikes frequently.

I went with taking off the exhaust and cleaning it out good, something I looked over before and didn't think to do when I had the bike tore down and it seemed to help quite a bit and found out that that the packing in the silencer was shot and caked with oil.

That is a good thing to do, and will keep it from bleeding the junk caused by the conditions Mike and I mentioned. but it will make it look "fixed" for awhile. It also sounds better and runs more like the designer intended.

It has added a little more snap to the throttle response. I am going to take the carb off and I'll probably just get a couple different jets and see which ones work out best. But, I won't be able to try until I get the stator taken off and replaced again, it burned up yesterday on the first ride :f:

Seriously? Have you got some plans to track down the reason that it is crucifuing stators? You aren't seriously considering trying to jet around a bad float or setting are you?

Last edited:
I was using a lighting stator without running a regulator not knowing you had to, even if you don't have a light hooked up, causing an overheat.

I haven't had a chance to tear into the carb yet to see what i'm working with. I'm not going to just buy jets for no reason. But, I'm pretty sure this was the previous owner's race bike and most likely has it jetted for his needs and different fuel mix

Well guessing is all sorts of fun. I have found after setting up new bikes and old alike that the first order is a teardown and time to see what is in the rig already. If the PO has been bandaiding the over rich condition like you are hinting you were thinking of doing, it may already have smaller jets in it than it will need once the float is set right. So if he had jets in it 2-3 sizes smaller than stock, get some that are within one size of stock and put them in it before you ride it. Do some plug tests etc. The float level always raises if left on it's own. If it has already been leaned out to compensate for that, you may seize it by putting the float back to where it was suposed to be to begin with. The main jet is easy to get at without removing the bowl and a good place to start to see if you need to shop before you go any further.

Tapping on the bowl may have done the "trick" but it didn't fix anything. Floats dont' stick as much as they get garbage in them. You can shake it out sometimes, but it is still there. Next stop for it will be in one of your jets. If the float needle and seat are worn enough, tapping may get them to seat together better, until you fire it up again.

ok, thanks. As soon as I get a new stator on it I'll take the carb off and clean it up and check out the main jet and the float before I fire it up. It's just going to take a little bit before I get a new stator on it, their pretty pricey