HELP! KX won't start!

I ride a 94 KX 125 werks. My son rode it through a "puddle" which turned out to be pretty deep! Now she wont start! :foul:

Let it sit for a week.

Any ideas? Suggestions? (Other than don't let him ride it again).

Thanks much

I have a feeling he may have flooded out the carb or even the engine it's self if the water got into the air intake. You should take off the carb bowl and see if there's any water in it, if not then take off the cam cap I think its called. It's the cap that leads to the top of the engine. Check for any water in there. If there is water in it, then drain it out of the motor or suck it out with a shop vac. Then leave it off for the rest to evaporate. Once it's dried out then check all the engine seals for cracks. If they are all good re grease them and put them back. If the seals are all good then you must of got water in your intake. That's no big deal. If any seals are bad replace them.

Thanks Yamadog!
GREAT answer.
Basically what I am getting from your answer is this....."Dude, take it to the shop." LOL

Seeing as I am NOT the mechanical type.

Just noticed your age is listed as 13. WOW! Thats awesome that you are that young and that smart!

Thanks again!
Ride safe
Rob ^i^

Its an easy fix as long as its not seized dude. I have done it before on my 200exc.

Some advice

"if water gets into the bottom end (either from air filter or exhaust) in a 2-stroke, you need to clear it out. Standard behavior is to stand the bike on the rear wheel to drain the exhaust, then remove the spark plug, turn the bike upside down, put it in gear and turn the rear wheel for a while, until water and stuff stops coming out through the spark plug hole. Then i like to flip it back right side up, and pour gas] into the spark plug hole, then cycle it through a bit more to rinse things out. then put it back together and start it and ride home."

i would pull the air breather out and check it...
pull spark plug...what color is it...
check the oil... does it look milky
if oil is not milky.... hold the kill switch put your thumb over the spark plug hole..holding it tight as you can... and shave someone kick the bike a few times...

it should have enough compression to force your finger off the hole

..if that chekcs out...

put the spark plug in the spark plug wire and lay the metal of the spark plug on the head of the bike.... and have someone kick it........ it should have a nice spark..

if no spark i would replace spark plug to begin with..

i would also drain the fuel and add some fresh premix.... you can also drain the fuel from the bowl of the carburator http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...YTFAQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

that is not your exact carb but it gives you the idea where its at

good luck man

Thanks Rob! Just do your best to dry out your engine before you take it to the shop. If you have any mud or dirt in there then pour some desiel fuel/karosene/gasoline or something along that line on a rag and wipe out your cylinder real good. This will prevent you from getting dirt in there and blowing your top end. I have a feeling if you do all this and mabey replace your spark plug then your bike will start right up! If not then it might have ran into the bottom end. I have a feeling that you will be fine though. :thumb: Oh yeah and track or trails?

I have a feeling he may have flooded out the carb or even the engine it's self if the water got into the air intake. You should take off the carb bowl and see if there's any water in it, if not then take off the cam cap I think its called. It's the cap that leads to the top of the engine. Check for any water in there. If there is water in it, then drain it out of the motor or suck it out with a shop vac. Then leave it off for the rest to evaporate. Once it's dried out then check all the engine seals for cracks. If they are all good re grease them and put them back. If the seals are all good then you must of got water in your intake. That's no big deal. If any seals are bad replace them.

It's called the head, bud. 2T's don't suffer the valve disea...err have valves and cams and such:smirk:

It's called the head, bud. 2T's don't suffer the valve disea...err have valves and cams and such:smirk:

I would be very cautious about turning over your engine, if any gritty water got into the intake it could be in the cylinder, so you should check everything in the order that things happen on the bike...

1. air boot - look for water, dirt, etc.
2. carb - once again water, dirt,
3. intake boot/reeds- look in both for dirt, inspect the reeds to see if they are chipped

now in the process of doing that you can pull the spark plug and check it and also drain the oil and replace it

All of these things are VERY basic, all it need is a metric socket set, a set of metric allen keys, and a few screwdrivers, oh and some wrench to get your spark plug out