helmet troubles

i recently bought a used oneal helmet and i just cant figure out how to get the pads out. ive used it about 3 times now and it kinda stinks. Are you not able to take the pads out in some helmets or what?
another thing is if anyone has extra helmet screws can i have some.

James

Staff member
I mean you disrespect but.......why did you buy a used helmet?

Here's why I'd never buy OR wear a used (even a buddy's) helmet. Helmets are only meant to take ONE hit, not 3, 5, or 10; only ONE. And that's the reason I won't wear someone else's helmet, as you don't know if they crashed in it or even dropped it. Helmets are surprisingly fragile, as you can damage one by just dropping it. The way helmets protect you is with the foam liner, so if someone already compressed the foam (by crashing or what have you), there won't be anything left to compress if you end up crashing. Well besides your head that is. :cripple: :smirk:

If not having the money for a brand new helmet is the problem (usually mine :bonk:) try getting last years model on clearance. Here's a good site www.motorcyclecloseouts.com Remember a new $40 helmet is better then a busted $300 one. :thumb:

Ok end :rant:, sorry it's just a touchy subject for me, I've had to many :bonk:s this year.

And to answer your actual question, yes not all helmets come with removable pads. That usually comes with higher end models.

ok i will buy a new one next time, but i couln't afford a new one and this one was in good condition no scratches so i assumed he didn't pile in it but ill keep that in mind next time.

I better replace mine, I've had mine through a couple years of crashes :shocked: How can i tell if the foams compressed? None of the crashes very hard, and the foam is totally in tact.

James

Staff member
yea its a very bad idea to buy a used helmet. Now you know tho and im sure you will make a better decision next time :thumb:
:thumb:
I better replace mine, I've had mine through a couple years of crashes :shocked: How can i tell if the foams compressed? None of the crashes very hard, and the foam is totally in tact.
:noidea: There isn't an easy way that I know of. On one of my helmets the complete foam shell had broken loose from the outer hard shell and the foam was "soft" on the side I hit. However on the latest incident were I actually got knocked out for a couple seconds, there's no visible damage minus the scratches. Won't be wearing it again though, my head/brain's worth more then that. :P

:P Mine has scratches all over it but the foam is absolutly perfect on the inside, hummmm. I hear you can get it professionally checked at some places so I try to find a TSA place to have it checked and hope i don't get raped. :lol::smirk::P