250F Hard start after rebuild? 2007 CRF250R

So me and my dad just did a rebuild on my crf250r and its very hard to start even though it shouldn't be. We sent the head off to fastheads, so we are sure it isnt the valves. We got the OEM piston and replaced all the bearings and seals we could without splitting the case. The bike takes 15-20 kicks to get it started and I am not sure what it is. The spark plug has not been changed, but it has spark (we tested it). Many people said to reset the Cam Chain Tensioner, which we did. Could it be the jetting? even before the rebuild it was a pain too start, but we assumed it was the valves. The carb was sent off to TokyoMods several years back and we are not sure if we need to redo the jetting or not. Thanks!

It runs pretty good. Although yesterday when I tried to start it while giving it gas it backfired louder than a .22? maybe a tooth off timing? we are gonna check timing again when we replace the spark plug.

Last edited:
UPDATE- Just changed spark plug, and while I was at it I checked the timing. Its perfect, so I am not sure what the issue is. I put the pilot screw to 2 1/4 turns out but there is still a decent amount of bog right in the beginning of the throttle.

UPDATE- Just changed spark plug, and while I was at it I checked the timing. Its perfect, so I am not sure what the issue is. I put the pilot screw to 2 1/4 turns out but there is still a decent amount of bog right in the beginning of the throttle.

Back it down to like 1-1//4 turns out.

Back it down to like 1-1//4 turns out.
Back it down from its current position or from the tightenend position? and when you say back it down you mean loosen correct? Checked my header bolts and they are tight (common problem from decel popping), looked at my carb and the air filter boot isnt seated all the way so that could be the culprit as well I think.

Clean out the entire pilot system. If that is a FC carb, and Tokyo Mods had it a year or so ago, one of the pilot circuits is clogged. Slight bog/hesitation of the first 1/8-1/4 is pilot. Beta did the same thing after sitting around for a few months without riding her, Tokyo Mod carb, cleaned the carbs pilot circiuts out and she runs like a bat out a HE LL...

z
Clean out the entire pilot system. If that is a FC carb, and Tokyo Mods had it a year or so ago, one of the pilot circuits is clogged. Slight bog/hesitation of the first 1/8-1/4 is pilot. Beta did the same thing after sitting around for a few months without riding her, Tokyo Mod carb, cleaned the carbs pilot circiuts out and she runs like a bat out a HE LL...
Thanks! Its the stock carb, but when my dad owned it he sent it off the get re-jetted and fixed. Will take the carb out tomorrow. If the carb is the only thing wrong after doing a head and piston rebuild, its the least of my worries =)

I too feel like it is the pilot jet being clogged. With that said, the fuel screw will need to be adjusted regularly due to weather and temp changes.
You did not state if the cam chain was replaced during the rebuild. If not, do so now. They wear quickly and will seem to be ok when in fact they are worn out.
Also recheck your valve clearances.

Paw Paw

Thanks for all the help guys! Although now it is kind of wasted. Went down very hard yesterday, shocks are completely mangled and both radiators are destroyed. Was going down a shortcut asphalt road, noticed two of my friends and waved, unfortunately I didn't notice a large curb that had bolder on it. Tire hit the curb, locked up and smashed into the boulder. Was doing about 30 to 45 although I don't remember much. I got stitches on my knee, but most the pain is from road rash. So lucky no bones were broken.

Thanks for all the help guys! Although now it is kind of wasted. Went down very hard yesterday, shocks are completely mangled and both radiators are destroyed. Was going down a shortcut asphalt road, noticed two of my friends and waved, unfortunately I didn't notice a large curb that had bolder on it. Tire hit the curb, locked up and smashed into the boulder. Was doing about 30 to 45 although I don't remember much. I got stitches on my knee, but most the pain is from road rash. So lucky no bones were broken.
Shecht! :crash::thumbsdown: Hope you're good!

That is like a miraculous knucklehead maneuver. One thing I cans say is you are lucky. Heal quick...

On the bright side, you get to learn how to replace the front end and radiators on your bike now if you dont already know how. Those are good skills to have :smirk:.
Elko where?