Happy Member Unhappy Bike :(

Rebuilding 2004 KX250f Engine What do I need besides the top and crankshaft kits?

• Engine failure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wont Idle Carb is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just bought a 2004 KX250f off craigslist it was not idling but would start I figured pay cheap and fix the carburetor myself. It was green and filled with filth after cleaning it and jetting it It would kickstart but not idle. I figured out some of the problem I was able to get it started without jumping it. I brought it to my local mechanic just because I want to ride it asap.

Before you comment yes the 04 is the first line of kawasaki's 4 strokes haha I now am aware of this and it also has some minor kinks. I put a new hot start on it and am purchasing a new water pump.

Main Issue The mechanic calls me today and says we went over the carb and everything was adjust correctly beforehand and they did not have to do anything to the carb. Saved 300$'s crazy right? Then he tells me the compression is good but more on the low and there is a lot of rattling noise coming from the engine. His theory is the engine needs to be rebuilt. I am no way going to pay for an engine rebuilt that will be an abundant amount of money in labor so I will do it myself if thats the case.

I need a new top end kit and a crankshaft kit Bout 500$'s. Do I need anything else in rebuilding the engine and any suggestions? And how much will it cost me total realistically because I have the feeling I am going to need more than just those two kits.

why does it need a crank kit? Normally it would need piston, rings, valve job. I would check end play on the crank before buying parts or tear it down and then have it looked at.

The mechanic might be trying to get more money out of me but his words over the phone went somewhere along the lines of if you do the top theres a good chance the crank is going to go shortly after... I might just bring it to another shop to get looked at he may be hustling me

Rattling more than likely is the timing chain, idle is more than likely in the pilot jet, now I know you said you cleaned it, but sometimes the jets get clogged to where they can't be cleaned, the jets going to be $5 or so, worth a shot, or it could (probably) be tight valves.

To rebuild it, I would go with the crank and piston kit, then add timing chain, timing chain tensioner, valve seals, and potentially valves, you can get it back and check the clearances on the crank per the manual
I'm assuming thats you in your avatar, thank you for your service :USA:

Thanks! Hopefully it is just the timing chain, and the pilot jet, with maybe a new order of possible valves. If thats not the case and it needs a rebuild I'll have myself a good winter project ahead of me :)

Just bought a 2004 KX250f off craigslist it was not idling but would start I figured pay cheap and fix the carburetor myself. It was green and filled with filth after cleaning it and jetting it It would kickstart but not idle. I figured out some of the problem I was able to get it started without jumping it. I brought it to my local mechanic just because I want to ride it asap.

Before you comment yes the 04 is the first line of kawasaki's 4 strokes haha I now am aware of this and it also has some minor kinks. I put a new hot start on it and am purchasing a new water pump.

Main Issue The mechanic calls me today and says we went over the carb and everything was adjust correctly beforehand and they did not have to do anything to the carb. Saved 300$'s crazy right? Then he tells me the compression is good but more on the low and there is a lot of rattling noise coming from the engine. His theory is the engine needs to be rebuilt. I am no way going to pay for an engine rebuilt that will be an abundant amount of money in labor so I will do it myself if thats the case.

I need a new top end kit and a crankshaft kit Bout 500$'s. Do I need anything else in rebuilding the engine and any suggestions? And how much will it cost me total realistically because I have the feeling I am going to need more than just those two kits.
If you don't trust your mechanic go somehere else....seriously it would benefit both party's, but I'm totally in favor of your other option of doing it yourself. They're really not hard to go thru, you may need a couple tools other than what you already own, but at least when your done you know what's been done to it, and if it needs repairagain, you are better equipped to fix it the next time.