great... mom's trying to get me to race street. :/

about a year and half ago -ish, my mom went and bought a kawi 600, took it out to a track day in chuckwalla, had the time of her life and started racing the WERA sportsman series. (she still races desert, always will be her favorite thing to race and I will make sure of it) This weekend we were out at the last race of the year at the las vega motor speedway (cool track). and she asked me if I wnted to go to race school and get on the fast track to getting my provisional license for next year's WERA stuff. That's awesome, I'm not scared of the streetbikes (they pretty much hold themselves up) and I'm not scared of the speeds (well, you always have to have fear, but I'm ok with the speed is what I'm trying to say). There are only two things I'm concerned about 1. I will get so hooked on the street bikes that I'll leave motocross behind to pursue it, and 2. I'd probably have to pay for my own gear, TIRES (witch for street is A LOT of money) and if I wanted my own bike probably 1/2 to 1/3 of it. not saying it wouldn't be fun... just not what I'm used too. help me out.. what do you think? haha thanks.

Well if Mom is behind you on this and can help fund, OR you can find sponsors why not? Just keep in mind pavement is pretty dang hard and I wouldnt do it without a full leather suit.

Your Mom sounds really cool! I'd die to have a Mom who rode. Mine never even rode a damn bicycle. Barely would go in the ocean with me and never got on a horse with me:cry:

Personally, I think you should start riding SuperMoto. It is the best of both worlds:thumb: You can still have some MX thrown in there with the dirt sections. Supermoto riding is the best! Even rolling out of your driveway it's better then a sport bike. Because when you get those sudden urges:devil: like you do on the dirt, you just go for it!! Not to mention other things like stairs, curbs, short cuts:banana: It is the perfect transition (entry) to sport bike riding or racing. A good way to ease into it. Your still on a narrow and nimble bike like you are used to. Once you dial in riding on slicks, then step up for some speed on a sport bike. But if you got the right SM bike you may not even need or want the speed of the sport bike. You may just be satisfied enough with the SM. It is a little like comparing apples and oranges but not completely. Given your age, I'd go SM. You have plenty of time to work your way into the more (very) expensive sport of racing sport bikes. Although SM isnt much cheaper though. The cost of tires on sport bikes will kill ya let alone track time etc... Im sure you know all of this already. You seemed pretty in touch with it all. This is just one person's prospective and coming from another woman. Next time Im in AZ I'll drop you a line and maybe your Mom, you and I can ride together. My Mom lives in Sedona. I will be there a few times over the next year coming up. Good luck with whatever you decide.:ride:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I think it is a great opportunity for you and you should take it. I have been riding street since I was 16 and started on a DR650 with street tires. It was definitely my confidence booster into a proper sportbike. I couldn't see ever stopping either style of riding. Both have their own appeal. -BIG DAN:thumb:

One Dream...your worse then me posting a thread and then not coming back for a while:lol:

Did you forget about it? Or are you on to more important things now. Wait, what is more important then riding?

Dan, good to know your alive and well. Havent seen you on in a while. I hope all is well.

One Dream...your worse then me posting a thread and then not coming back for a while:lol:

Did you forget about it? Or are you on to more important things now. Wait, what is more important then riding?

Dan, good to know your alive and well. Havent seen you on in a while. I hope all is well.

haha.. sorry, busy week. calculus is kicking my butt, haha.

Personally I'm not a fan, MX is very difficult, and takes alot of work to compete. And on top of that things get expensive fast, in addition to medical bills. Depending on what you want to be sucessful in, I'd pick one series and stick to it, doing alot at once will make you good at alot, but not good enough. Anybody see my point :noidea: It wouldn't be bad to try it, but you kinda want to pick something and take it seriously and stick too it, wether it be street or dirt :thumb:

Personally I'm not a fan, MX is very difficult, and takes alot of work to compete. And on top of that things get expensive fast, in addition to medical bills. Depending on what you want to be sucessful in, I'd pick one series and stick to it, doing alot at once will make you good at alot, but not good enough. Anybody see my point :noidea: It wouldn't be bad to try it, but you kinda want to pick something and take it seriously and stick too it, wether it be street or dirt :thumb:
I have found there is allot more to life than dirtbikes, you must diversify:thumb:

I have found there is allot more to life than dirtbikes, you must diversify:thumb:
Thats completely not my point :noidea: If you want to be fast enough to make good out of MX racing, then you need to be putting your time into MX, not street. If you don't care and you want to have fun and are into riding for trying new things, do that :noidea: It's all in how professional you want to make it.

Thats completely not my point :noidea: If you want to be fast enough to make good out of MX racing, then you need to be putting your time into MX, not street. If you don't care and you want to have fun and are into riding for trying new things, do that :noidea: It's all in how professional you want to make it.

one dream was a LL qualifier... I doubt street racing will go against her :thumb:

yeah, I agree with you. I might just go to the class and get my license, then let it hang with me just in case I want to do something about it :cool:

uhh... i dont see what you're getting at. It's very very unlikely for someone to get their pro license and get a full ride sponsorship, so devoting your life entirely to MX would kinda be a waste...

Plus street bike racing is awesome.

yeah, I agree with you. I might just go to the class and get my license, then let it hang with me just in case I want to do something about it :cool:

Id do it. especially if your moms paying for half... Just wear the proper gear! or else you'd be getting rug burn times a million...