GPS Related Topics - DO NOT POST GPS LINKS - If you want to share tracks send via PM!

I know how the tracks and trails in Arizona, California and New Mexico look like or at least, what they potray...usually, riding on known trail does not need GPS, but when u r riding on an unknown trail , especially in a rainforest...where u can't see more than 100 feet away, u will need a GPS...

I am an ex cop and i use to be in the jungle forces...jungle forces is similar to the army, the only thing is that we are cops and we fight the commies in the jungles..(we gather intelligence and we also do mopping up exercises..The AR15 or M16 was my wife with 400 rounds of ammo, my browning hi power was my youger bro with 50 rounds of 9mm, and 4 grenades was my gramma) and i am trained to do orienteering and also navigating using topo maps. I do not get lost when I have these maps, compass and my simple navigating tools...but GPS makes it easier...and the 60CSX allows u to backtrail...u are never lost...this allows more fun for riding.

Tokwan = Badass Ninja :thumb:

I know how the tracks and trails in Arizona, California and New Mexico look like or at least, what they potray...usually, riding on known trail does not need GPS, but when u r riding on an unknown trail , especially in a rainforest...where u can't see more than 100 feet away, u will need a GPS...

I am an ex cop and i use to be in the jungle forces...jungle forces is similar to the army, the only thing is that we are cops and we fight the commies in the jungles..(we gather intelligence and we also do mopping up exercises..The AR15 or M16 was my wife with 400 rounds of ammo, my browning hi power was my youger bro with 50 rounds of 9mm, and 4 grenades was my gramma) and i am trained to do orienteering and also navigating using topo maps. I do not get lost when I have these maps, compass and my simple navigating tools...but GPS makes it easier...and the 60CSX allows u to backtrail...u are never lost...this allows more fun for riding.

i know who im chillin with if im ever in that part of the world :P

Hey Tokwan, I need to get back to Batu Farringhi and stay at the Shang's Rasa Sayang Resrot again. Except next time out I'll have to pay the rate for a foriener. Last time we stayed there I got the "locals rate" cuz we were "in country residents".

+1 on bad ass. When I head out to the desert with firearms I just shoot targets. I suppose that is nice since the targets don't shoot back. Being in California I'm not trusted by our state government with a AR15, let alone a M16. I do have a lot of 9mm though.

The thing that concerns me is that people come to rely on the GPS. The get a track file and head off into the unknown. What happens if GPS breaks? You had better be able to get back without it. Guys I go out with are pretty amazed that I know my way around so well. I'm almost always the navigator. I force others to lead so they can learn.

You might think that in the open deserts that it's easy. Well it is in a small area. When you ride hundreds of miles in a day it can get more complicated. It gets really complicated at night. We also have mountains where the trees are dense enough that you can't see any landmarks. Here in California at the southern end of the Sierra Nevada we have some mountains called the Piutes. Lots of unmarked trails and not many places where you can see far. It is famous for people getting totally lost and sleeping next to their bikes ont he trail. GPS can save your ass in those types of situations.

If you say that one shud not totally rely on GPS, then I will agree, and if u say that apart from relying GPS, and one shud be able to do basic and non GPS navigation, then I will agree, but I will not agree on your earlier statement.

One shud be able to tell the direction (e,g: North) without using GPS, and to tell which one is the North Star at nite. One shud learn to identify landmarks when they pass it, make simple mental recordings of the route they took on the track, and to tell which side of the trail lies an open highway or where the river shud be.

That is why I am so confident of riding alone in Malaysia's dense forest...sometimes even primary jungle..

KTMRAck, when will you be coming, lemme know 1 month earlier so that I can take leave during that period.
Lemme know dude..I can get u a 2 stroke bike (WR200) and we can go riding buddy.

If you say that one shud not totally rely on GPS, then I will agree, and if u say that apart from relying GPS, and one shud be able to do basic and non GPS navigation, then I will agree, but I will not agree on your earlier statement.

One shud be able to tell the direction (e,g: North) without using GPS, and to tell which one is the North Star at nite. One shud learn to identify landmarks when they pass it, make simple mental recordings of the route they took on the track, and to tell which side of the trail lies an open highway or where the river shud be.

That is why I am so confident of riding alone in Malaysia's dense forest...sometimes even primary jungle..

:thumb:

its also a smart idea to learn how to correctly use a map and a compass as well.

I'm never going in to the woods again! Look at what you have done!

2ljgf9c.jpg