Good Girl Friend Bike?

Well I have a Galfriend who is looking to step up from a ttr-125 to something with a little more suspension and power. she has her heart set on a yz85 (shes only like 5'2") but the abrupt power on an 85 may be a little tough for her to handle. I thought about maybe a kx100 with a flywheel weight. has anyone tried one on a mini motor like a 85/100 motor? Im on a limited budget so i would have to be able to find one for around 1000 bucks so a CRF150R is out of the question. got any suggestions??

I got a Crf230 for my wife..............................it was a good trade:prof:

Seriously though - I think she would be fine on the KX100. A KDX200 or the KTM200 would be a good choice as well. Both great bikes.

My wife has a CRF230 I'm a little disappointed in it. She likes it but I think some of the crashes she has had would have been avoided with a better bike. I think they steer like crap! The bars are behind the forks instead of over them like every other bike in the world. Always feels like I'm pushing the bars to turn it. Anyways thats my beef with them. I haven't got around a TTR-230 to know if they are the same way or not. I'm really playing with the idea of a 2 stroke and a rekluse in it for her.

I have had two KX 100s, both big wheel models. The first was a 95 which is a non power valve motor. It was used and ran thru both my kids for 10 yrs or so before I noticed it was down on power. Never fouled a plug or broke down. I put new top end in it and it ran great again. This model is the 95-97. If I remember right they went to a PV motor in 98. I now have a like new 02. It is the PV model. It has a FWW, I had the cyl shaved to lower port timing to bring power delivery down lower in the rpm range. The older one got hard to find after market parts for, the new one I found everything I wanted-Kick stand, skid plate, alum spark arrestor, FWW, and a big tank is made but I have not spent the dollars for that. The newer PV motor does have two problems I found while looking thru the net- the cranks go out if you run them too lean on the jetting and the PV is a booger to work on if you take the timer part of it apart causing it to break.

Both are great 2nd bikes, have super top end power, but will pull and lug in the mid all day and not foul a plug. Lite, easy to start, short, etc. Get one and you wont be sorry.

Well I have a Galfriend who is looking to step up from a ttr-125 to something with a little more suspension and power. she has her heart set on a yz85 (shes only like 5'2") but the abrupt power on an 85 may be a little tough for her to handle. I thought about maybe a kx100 with a flywheel weight. has anyone tried one on a mini motor like a 85/100 motor? Im on a limited budget so i would have to be able to find one for around 1000 bucks so a CRF150R is out of the question. got any suggestions??
honestly coming from a girls perspective i think an 85 is fine i have a 125 but i dont ride it anymore cuz i got bored with it and started riding my dads and all his buddies bikes lol but i think i 85 would be perfect especially ciz of her height

I'm 5'1ish 5'2ish, the kx100 is the PERFECT size for me. I don't have first hand experience but apparently the 85's are snappier then the 100. But either way a big wheel 85 or a 100 is the way to go.

Perhaps 150R? Or too slow?

I will never understand why the 230 doesnt have a kicker and why the heck it has a key. So dumb! So many leave that key turned on by accident and then the bike is dead. Crappy suspension too. Ya...they serve their purpose...women who only want to ride so much, or a camp bike to tool around on. I think my old XR200 was a better bike.

Good luck. It's just nice your gal friend likes to ride:thumb:

Can we get maybe a better discription of the girl friend and maybe a picture or two? That always helps us match bikes better.:smirk:

Get a KX100 and put a flywheel weight on it. Also, go a tooth up on the front sprocket and a few teeth less on the rear. That's what I'd do, but you can mess around with the gearing a little better.

Of all the bikes mentioned, I would choose the KX100 as well. They are great bikes, with broad easy-to-use power, good suspension, and a perfect in-between size for riders that are too big for minis but too small for full-sized bikes. And the KX100 has almost the same power-to-weight ratio as a 125, so her keeping up won't be an issue if she's a decent rider.

In my opinion, the CRF230 is an over-weight under-suspended under-powered pig. And the KDX/KTM200 will both be much too tall for someone that is only 5'2" tall, the height will only intimidate her.

One caveat for the KX100 though. Don't let people convince you to fall into the "less oil is better" trap. The KX85/100 engine is known for losing lower rod bearings when lean oil ratios are used. Mix it at no less than 32:1, and even 28:1 if she learns to really push it hard, and it will live a long and happy life.