Getting back into dirt biking.

It’s been nearly 8 years since I rode a dirt bike, and I’m wanting to get back into it. Since COVID started the cost and availability of bikes has really been impacted.
So tell me, best “beginner” bike for a smaller female adult?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome. Everyone is different, you may be bored with the suggestions given.
I would put a beginner on a 150 or 230 fourstroke. Then their riding style determines what bike they want to live with after that.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

A Yamaha ttr 230 or a Honda crf 230 are good beginner bikes that can still be fun past the beginning stage. Depending on how small you are, the 125 versions of the those models might be a better fit.

A Yamaha ttr 230 or a Honda crf 230 are good beginner bikes that can still be fun past the beginning stage. Depending on how small you are, the 125 versions of the those models might be a better fit.
Thank you! I’m about 5”2 130lbs. I used to ride a 250 but I don’t wanna jump into anything too powerful.

I used to ride a 250 but I don’t wanna jump into anything too powerful.
When it comes to dirt bikes, you basically have 2 main varieties; trail bikes, or motocross bikes.
The bikes listed above are trail bikes. If you rode something similar before, one of those will be fine.

But if you want to send it over the doubles, blitz the whoops, thrown down some gnarly whips, or clear LaRocco's Leap, you're gonna need a motocross bike.
Motocross bikes (YZ's, RM's, KX's, CR's, SX's, and that other one...) are full-on race bikes, and are very fast. You should probably have spent some time on a trail bike before you jump on one of these.
Whatever bike you choose, I would plan on it being a temporary bike. As your skills improve bike requirements typically increase as well. So spend accordingly.
Just my $.02.

Welcome to DBA.

When it comes to dirt bikes, you basically have 2 main varieties; trail bikes, or motocross bikes.
The bikes listed above are trail bikes. If you rode something similar before, one of those will be fine.

But if you want to send it over the doubles, blitz the whoops, thrown down some gnarly whips, or clear LaRocco's Leap, you're gonna need a motocross bike.
Motocross bikes (YZ's, RM's, KX's, CR's, SX's, and that other one...) are full-on race bikes, and are very fast. You should probably have spent some time on a trail bike before you jump on one of these.
Whatever bike you choose, I would plan on it being a temporary bike. As your skills improve bike requirements typically increase as well. So spend accordingly.
Just my $.02.

Welcome to DBA.
Thanks so much! That’s great advice !

Yamaha TTR-125L or comparable is what you want. My daughter is your size and that is what she use to ride. Mellow bike for getting back into it and not tall for reaching the ground. Plus when you are ready to move on, it has a great resell value.

^^^^^ Yep , TTR 125 L Great bikes , I own 4 of them . Everybody in the family rides them ... Perfect size , go Anywhere , do everything bikes . Equal competition for Daughter , grandkids , me ,