250 Gearing for yz250

hello all, i have a 1994 yz250... im interested in regearing my bike. i go to the tracks during the summer and the desert, mostly ocotillo wells in the winter. i want more speed, my bike feels soooo slow in the desert. my bike, motor wise is to stock specs so im not gaining any power do to exaust pipes or anything, all though thats in the future, because im only 17 and are saving most of my money for my old klx450f i sold a few years back but its gonna take some time. so in the mean time what do you guys recommend? thanks in advance!751.jpg

If you are looking for a big change in speed bump up one tooth on the front sprocket. 1 tooth on the front is like 3 teeth on the rear. Altho you will take a hit on bottom end.

If you are looking for a big change in speed bump up one tooth on the front sprocket. 1 tooth on the front is like 3 teeth on the rear. Altho you will take a hit on bottom end.
thanks for the tip, theres a double at the local track ive been trying to clear for a couple weeks now, its super tight layout, almost a supercross layout and i can only hit it in 2nd gear but case it everytime. im 14/14 on casing it:/ hope this might help too

James

Staff member
thanks for the tip, theres a double at the local track ive been trying to clear for a couple weeks now, its super tight layout, almost a supercross layout and i can only hit it in 2nd gear but case it everytime. im 14/14 on casing it:/ hope this might help too
Sounds like you need to be geared for more torque, not speed. If you go with less teeth the bike will come out of the corner even slower as it has no torque. On a track you're usually better off with more torque than speed, especially on a supercross style track.

A cheaper alternative is to try changing your technique. As you're coming out of the corner roll on the throttle to 100% as you pull yourself forward with the bars. Also make sure that you keep pressure against the bike with your legs.

ive tried seat bouncing and everything, and belive me, by the time i hit the bottom of the transition im wfo. brand new tire in the rear also. but i still case.
heres a picture of my friend doing the same double...marcodouble.jpg

Take the corner a gear higher. Have a video/helmet cam of this corner/double?
my skills arent the best, so cornering is still a challenge, but im coming out from second and i barrely have the room to get momentum. ill try it and see if i can get a gopro strapped on and try er in 3rd gear.

James

Staff member
my skills arent the best, so cornering is still a challenge, but im coming out from second and i barrely have the room to get momentum. ill try it and see if i can get a gopro strapped on and try er in 3rd gear.
I really wouldn't change the gearing then. Instead work on your corner speed as that seems to be your problem. Remember momentum is your friend. Take the corner in 2nd gear wide open.

You've got to walk before you can run :thumb: Sounds like all you need is some more seat time dude! Keep on keepin on :D

You have asked 2 questions here.

1. How do I get over that double? - Stock gearing is 14/50 (is that what you are running?) and looking at the picture of your friend going over the double, you should have no problem coming out of that corner in 2nd gear with a higher rate of speed and clearing it. If you are WFO and casing that, then your bike needs to be looked at. If you are running 14/50 and having problems getting over the double, put a 51 or 52 on the back, so you can either carry 3rd gear in the corner or have the ability to short shift into 3rd before the jump.

2. What gearing do I need for the desert? - You can not run the same gearing for the track and the desert. OW is a wide open area, so you should run a smaller sprocket out back. Depending on what you like to ride out there and how fast you want to go, depends on the gearing. If your gearing now is too short (meaning you are running out of gears too fast), then drop a couple teeth in the rear. Again if you are running stock gearing (14/50), go down to a 48 out back.

If you want to make gear changing from one place to the other easy, I would run 14/48 for desert and 13/48 for the track. All you would have to do is change the counter shaft without pulling the rear wheel and making a sprocket change. 13/48 would be close to a 14/51, just make sure you cut your chain to allow for the switching back and forth of the counter. I have an 03 YZ250 smoker and I run 14/46 when out in the dez and that gives me decent gearing for my needs. If I was racing dez on this scooter, I would probably go a couple more teeth smaller out back. If I am running in the trees, I will go back to stock and it works fine there for my needs.

I would not run a larger sprocket on the counter as that will take away from your bottom end and you will playing "fan the clutch" all day and replacing clutch plates oftend.

Hope this helps..:ride:

You have asked 2 questions here.

1. How do I get over that double? - Stock gearing is 14/50 (is that what you are running?) and looking at the picture of your friend going over the double, you should have no problem coming out of that corner in 2nd gear with a higher rate of speed and clearing it. If you are WFO and casing that, then your bike needs to be looked at. If you are running 14/50 and having problems getting over the double, put a 51 or 52 on the back, so you can either carry 3rd gear in the corner or have the ability to short shift into 3rd before the jump.

2. What gearing do I need for the desert? - You can not run the same gearing for the track and the desert. OW is a wide open area, so you should run a smaller sprocket out back. Depending on what you like to ride out there and how fast you want to go, depends on the gearing. If your gearing now is too short (meaning you are running out of gears too fast), then drop a couple teeth in the rear. Again if you are running stock gearing (14/50), go down to a 48 out back.

If you want to make gear changing from one place to the other easy, I would run 14/48 for desert and 13/48 for the track. All you would have to do is change the counter shaft without pulling the rear wheel and making a sprocket change. 13/48 would be close to a 14/51, just make sure you cut your chain to allow for the switching back and forth of the counter. I have an 03 YZ250 smoker and I run 14/46 when out in the dez and that gives me decent gearing for my needs. If I was racing dez on this scooter, I would probably go a couple more teeth smaller out back. If I am running in the trees, I will go back to stock and it works fine there for my needs.

I would not run a larger sprocket on the counter as that will take away from your bottom end and you will playing "fan the clutch" all day and replacing clutch plates oftend.

Hope this helps..:ride:
Yes my gearing is stock 14/50 motor is all stock. My friend has a fully built pro circuit engine and exaust set up for freestyle. Ill try going 14/51 if that doesn't help then ill drink a redbull

James

Staff member
Yes my gearing is stock 14/50 motor is all stock. My friend has a fully built pro circuit engine and exaust set up for freestyle. Ill try going 14/51 if that doesn't help then ill drink a redbull
We all (that includes me :smirk:) like to blame the bike and bike setup for most of our issues. :lol: While in reality it's usually us the rider that's the problem.

Go watch the guys that are hitting (clearing) it and look at their line in/out of the corner. Also go find a couple of them and ask for tips on how to hit that section, majority will gladly help you. :thumb: