250F Gearing for 2007 WR 250 F

Buttheads is a 13/52. Looking at the sprockets now, he is due for a chain & sprocket combo. The money just never seems to stop. And I'm thinking I will do a 13/48 next time around.

CDA Jr's 250 smoker is stock at 14/50, which is too slow for desert cruising. I run it at 14/46 which allows for good top speed, but does not take away from the bottom.

I'm a bit of a speed freak, so running a 14/42 for the fast stuff and 13/48 if I go on track. I can no longer leave my vehicle near the bush, state parks due to theft and burning out of vehicles, so now I have to ride to where I want to go if it's bush riding, totally sucks, even with the high gearing on it still revs out on the highway stretch from home to bush.

Things here a changing and not for the better, people rather destroy your property then do something more constructive, bloody sad :(!!

Wow, 13/52 on my sons bike would be crazy slow. Maybe that's what I need so I can click through the gears. :thinking:

CDA gave yama_dawgg a 49. I think he is going to give that a try.

Its a little slow, I used to be able to do 95-100 mph with my old setup 13/50, but I needed more tourqe and the ability to hit my powerband in a short time, so I went with a 52 rear... now I can do about 70, but im a tourqe freak, speed is ok but nothing compares to having the power to go anywhere.

Its a little slow, I used to be able to do 95-100 mph with my old setup 13/50, but I needed more tourqe and the ability to hit my powerband in a short time, so I went with a 52 rear... now I can do about 70, but im a tourqe freak, speed is ok but nothing compares to having the power to go anywhere.

My kids bike is revved at 45 mph. It's good for the tech stuff we ride in the woods. Not good for the open desert.

My kids bike is revved at 45 mph. It's good for the tech stuff we ride in the woods. Not good for the open desert.
oh yeah I agree, open dessert you want to have a little speed, other wise you're just ring slow in a vast area of nowhere haha. Where you guys at? Im going to Nevada this summer to ride dessert with my cousin, if you guys are around.

oh yeah I agree, open dessert you want to have a little speed, other wise you're just ring slow in a vast area of nowhere haha. Where you guys at? Im going to Nevada this summer to ride dessert with my cousin, if you guys are around.

Central California.

This is my WR250 running the high gearing. I had the camera set on low mic volume "bugga", after a few rides I set it to high. The main reason for posting the vid is to show the 250 preforms really well if you are doing fast stuff. I also run the same gearing on uphill single trial, it can get a bit tricky as I'm running a Barnett clutch which becomes a handful.

PS: Thought I'd edit the post as some are probably scratching their heads wondering why I've posted it :) !!

Im looking for info on gearing and sprockets? ?? if someone could post a link to explain the basics that would be great. .I seen a link on here before explaining it, if im not mistaken big D posted it...my reason for this is im entering a grasstrack event the weekend and im not sure will my stock set up on my gg 300 do?? any advice?

Im looking for info on gearing and sprockets? ?? if someone could post a link to explain the basics that would be great. .I seen a link on here before explaining it, if im not mistaken big D posted it...my reason for this is im entering a grasstrack event the weekend and im not sure will my stock set up on my gg 300 do?? any advice?

http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-ultimate-dirt-bike-gearing-guide

There you go, that should explain everything.

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com

This should help to.

Last edited:
Wait a second. WTF is going on here. I see posts about Rack and then I see FIFTH GEAR! Say it isn't so.

More seriously changing out the front is pretty easy. I think that Rack might even be able to do it without a shop involved. Sounds like it's good for the mountain single track with the current gearing. How about swapping in a 14 for the dez? If you want more then maybe 13/48 for the tight stuff and 14/48 for the dez.

I ran 13,14 or 15 and 48 on my XR. Don't have these problems with the Beta and it's 6 speed.