Gear stripped out or clutch slipping...?

The friction discs can still be good in thickness, but can be fried from abuse. Even the wrong kind of oil can start them slipping. Same for weak clutch springs so measure the length of those as well when you take it apart.

I've had transmission issues in the past. If the gears are bad they will notify you as described above and usually get worse pretty quick. if a gear really lets loose it can destroy your engine. A more common issue is the gear shifting mechanism allowing the transmission to drop out of gear for a moment. Those false neutrals in between gears are a sure sign of it.

What trans oil are you using?
Using an oil that is not correct will cause the clutch to slip at speed in higher gears under a load.

Paw Paw

Its not the oil. I changed my oil yesterday. Using yamalube. The oil was black but there was no metal or water in it. The oil filter was the same. Took it out for a ride and it still does it. With a bad gear selector, would it be possible for it to be slipping in and out of gear a lot? Or would it just slip out of gear and stay out?

takes about 15 minutes to check the clutch :-). if it slips "smoothely" then you can bet on it being the clutch. if it seems to have some catches in it, probably shift forks and the "dogs" that engage the gears to one another. if you havent found y our definitive answer on here yet, then it is time to take it apart. if you have found it, then it is time to take it apart :smirk::smirk::smirk:

SRAD97750

Staff member
STOP
Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable for being too tight? My money rests on clutch cable adjustment!
...could even be clutch adjustment, if it's just a little to tight.
To be sure your clutch cable isn't too tight, there should be an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch of play at the clutch lever/perch.

...the clutch would slip a little then get grip, then slip again and so on...
Was this violent when it happened?

-BIG DAN:thumb:

BTW, if the "wrong oil" was in it to begin with, just changing it doesnt always or even usually "fix" what that has done. check CL's advice on plate thickness vs abuse. (once burned and glazed I usually just pitch them.)