Gas ratio

The Klotz benol is a good product. I don't think for most people, any of the castor products are worth the trouble though. I can't think of any oil that will add to your safety margin as far as blowups are concerned.

I would tell you to get VERY specific in your mixing habits.

If you like the oil and don't mind gumming a ring every now and then and the smell seems worth it use it and enjoy. My race gas used to get put into my VW come monday morning when I was on my way back to class. I got lots of comments.

The Klotz benol is a good product. I don't think for most people, any of the castor products are worth the trouble though. I can't think of any oil that will add to your safety margin as far as blowups are concerned.

I would tell you to get VERY specific in your mixing habits.

If you like the oil and don't mind gumming a ring every now and then and the smell seems worth it use it and enjoy. My race gas used to get put into my VW come monday morning when I was on my way back to class. I got lots of comments.

I found a picture of your old car.....

image.jpg

So I pulled my plug and there was a little bit of wet oil on it but not much. I'm wondering if I'm running it too rich. Should I buy a carb rebuild kit the the stock jets? Also my bike doesn't want to start when hot. I kick it over a dozen times and nothing. I'm thinking bad top end or jetting. You be the judge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 13
So I pulled my plug and there was a little bit of wet oil on it but not much. I'm wondering if I'm running it too rich. Should I buy a carb rebuild kit the the stock jets? Also my bike doesn't want to start when hot. I kick it over a dozen times and nothing. I'm thinking bad top end or jetting. You be the judge

Go back to yamalube at 32:1 then tell me what that plug looks like. I'm willing to bet it comes out black and dry.

I rip around in a field and occasionally go trail riding with some friends
Sounds to me like u may drop your needle 1 or 2 positions, then start riding it like u stole it. See what happens. What altitude do u ride at? Temp? Baro pressure? All these things play into it!

I've never been able to get a good reading on a new plug! Also, ANY idle time or time OFF of main jet,"WOT" will give you a false reading. To be accurate you should kill engine under WOT, then pull used plug and inspect. It is poss that u just need to adjust idle air screw! I may not be an expert but I havnt fouled a plug in over 20 plus yrs and have had only 1 lean engine seize in as many yrs. in which it was totally my fault! Although I do seem to push the leaner side! Also, almost all engine seizes do to a lean burn, happens the moment you shut the throttle off. That being said, when temp has dropped, and Ive been caught running lean, when decelerating, I always hold kill switch with throttle open to keep piston/cyl well lubed!
Moral of the story, beer is good!

Last edited:
When doing plug chops you new to read the band at the bottom of the porcelain insulator. For this you need a new plug. Just looking at a plug will let you know if it's running ok but beware as each oil and gas type will leave your plug looking different each time. An oil like yamalube will give a black sooty plug but as long as the tip of the electrode is clean it's running fine. Amsoil will leave you with a clear caramel colored almost reddish looking plug. This is why they tell you to read the bands.