Garmin and Tom Tom gps

Turns out I have a bunch of credit card reward points. I was thinking about spending it on my DBA brethern, but decided to say "screw you guys" and spend it on me instead :devil:
So the rewards catalog is filled with useless crap, but they do have Tom Tom street GPS. and a few Garmin's. One Garmin is a handheld model, I have an old Garmin, very basic, about 10 years old.
So I don't need a Tom Tom for streets, I am an old fart and have a Thomas Guide in the car. But are they any good for off road trails etc. or just street stuff? I will get one if I can use it while riding.
Opinions, and model numbers so I can see if they have the same model?

They do not have most of trails on them. They will have some dirt roads.
The best thing is to share trails or tracks with your other friends.
The garmin 60 is a good one. Look for a unit that has good memory in it or a removable memory card. Color screen I have found hard to see due to glare or dust.
Look at the mounts before you buy one and be sure it has a good one that you can get!!

They do not have most of trails on them. They will have some dirt roads.
The best thing is to share trails or tracks with your other friends.
The garmin 60 is a good one. Look for a unit that has good memory in it or a removable memory card. Color screen I have found hard to see due to glare or dust.
Look at the mounts before you buy one and be sure it has a good one that you can get!!

as is map76

I have the Etrex and I do not use it that much. I need to start bringing it along on my outings so i can adventure farther.

I don't recommend the TimTim unit. Although it will get you where you want to go, it costs too much to operate. It takes alot of beer and safety supplies to keep it working, but the worst part is paying all the tickets to keep it out of jail. I think you'd be better off with one that just runs on batteries instead.

I don't recommend the TimTim unit. Although it will get you where you want to go, it costs too much to operate. It takes alot of beer and safety supplies to keep it working, but the worst part is paying all the tickets to keep it out of jail. I think you'd be better off with one that just runs on batteries instead.

Damn good thing you warned me, I was getting ready to order one.:P

I have a low garmin/tracking hand held in case I get lost or to mark some cool spots I've never been to thanks to Timo and rolls. I really don't use it alot as it's not hard wired on the bike and uses batteries. It's great if you google something and want to get there or find it for the first time or are in doubt on the way there, of course google earth if you get phone reception is good too. Actually your phone can have gps too. The GPS tracking, milage,mph,and travel time is cool though!The thing great about always carrying the GPS is if someone gets hurt and you need to know exactly where you are wether your phone works or you have to go get help. Does "Spot" come to mind here.:thinking:

:thumb:

Thanks for the replies, still not sure, maybe just spend the money on beer.
One thing for sure, definately not getting the Tim Tim model, I need something to keep me out of trouble, not into trouble.