Fuel Stabilizer

James

Staff member
So I've decided to actually try and winterize my bike this year. My question is, what's a good fuel stabilizer or are they all the same? :noidea:

Also do you generally fill the tank or just put in enough fuel to fill the carb? I've had issues in the past with varnish crap in the tank if I let it sit for awhile.

I think that I would go with the Stabil and then use the Seafoam in the spring, but what do I know since I ride all year.

What about draining the tank and carb completely? That gas will be no good after months anyhow. Just throw it in the truck and get some use out of it instead of having to deal with old gas later.

James

Staff member
Sea foam 1oz per gallon:thumb:

I have been using Sea Foam the last few years with pretty good results :thumb: You could always just get yourself a bottle of Sta-bil though as well.
:thumb: Thanks guys
I think that I would go with the Stabil and then use the Seafoam in the spring, but what do I know since I ride all year.

What about draining the tank and carb completely?
That gas will be no good after months anyhow. Just throw it in the truck and get some use out of it instead of having to deal with old gas later.
Tried that last year and ended up having to replace the float valve, jets, and a couple other things as everything got all gummed up.:foul:

Being in Commifornia we ride all year long. I have used Sta-bil in my 5 gallon jugs for years and never had a problem. If I was going to store my bike for the winter I would fill the tank and carb with gas+sta-bil. But, I would drain it all out and put super/race in before I started it next season. This may insure you to not have to go through the same thing last time. Reason for filling your tank also is less condensation can build in a full tank. You could also give it a start every two weeks and let it warm up.

Being in Commifornia we ride all year long. I have used Sta-bil in my 5 gallon jugs for years and never had a problem. If I was going to store my bike for the winter I would fill the tank and carb with gas+sta-bil. But, I would drain it all out and put super/race in before I started it next season. This may insure you to not have to go through the same thing last time. Reason for filling your tank also is less condensation can build in a full tank. You could also give it a start every two weeks and let it warm up.

Palmer's idea sounds good to me

This is especially important if you happen to be running an older bike with a metal gas tank:prof:

Old gas was a huge problem for us until we started using stabil. Now all of our small engines (the ones that do not get filled up at the gas station) all get fueled from the same 5 gallon jug, which has been mixed with stabil. Usually 2x strength because some things don't get used much (leaf blower and other occasionally used items).

Zero problems since using stabil - but when we had small bikes (xr100, ttr125, crf230) they had problems after 1 or 2 months with the crappy gas we get, even with premium. Ironically the fcr carb was not as sensitive, probably because the ap was an alternate source for fuel at idle (twist throttle gives a squirt).

todays gas is the problem, you get that white residue when it drys out, plugs up pilot jets quik. 2st are not as prone to it cuz of the oil. You can use Stabil, Sea fm, or Marvel mystery oil, even a little 2st oil. BUT I think the most important thing is to start it once a month and let it completely warm up, turn off fuel and let it run out. Has worked for me for 40 yrs.

James

Staff member
todays gas is the problem, you get that white residue when it drys out, plugs up pilot jets quik. 2st are not as prone to it cuz of the oil. You can use Stabil, Sea fm, or Marvel mystery oil, even a little 2st oil. BUT I think the most important thing is to start it once a month and let it completely warm up, turn off fuel and let it run out. Has worked for me for 40 yrs.
:thumb: That's what the problem was, it also gummed up the float valve enough that it needed replacing.

From my experience with boats and winterizing them you need to fill them all the way up so you don't get condensation and fuel stableizer but i don't know what kind is the best but starting it up once a month is a good idea as well :D:

EDIT: Just go play in the snow for a bit wo0t! wo0t!

Drain the tank and the carb thouroughly before storing. If its a metal gas tank then you fill it to the top and use Seafoam or Stabil Marine but keep the carb drained. In the spring drain the tank and use it in the mower.