250 front fork questions

Didn't see that. :thumb:

Looking at those number again, that stock suspension is really off center. Front is for a 110 lbs guy and the rear for a 175 lbs guy. :bonk:
That's really odd, my forks are pro set up for my height and weight but my forks are a little beefier than my shock. This seems really dangerous to me that the balance is so off. He will defiantly get a better feel with a .46kg/mm

race tech is wrong, just like it was for my forks, get a factory service manual before you start blindly throwing money at the bike, it will be the best investment you can make.

race tech is wrong, just like it was for my forks, get a factory service manual before you start blindly throwing money at the bike, it will be the best investment you can make.
like I said, he needs springs either way, so start there and check wear parts, then determine whether or not you want to work on the shock.

James

Staff member
Factory service manual gives you spring rates for different rider weights and riding levels?

Aren't you contradicting yourself? :noidea: So your service manual does or doesn't have spring rates in it?
Really james?

The correct FACTORY original spring rates, meaning for the shock and the forks. I did not say the correct spring weights for your weight and riding style, however, generally 250 2t and 450's are sprung for 160 pound individuals straight off the showroom floor.

James

Staff member
Really james?

The correct FACTORY original spring rates, meaning for the shock and the forks. I did not say the correct spring weights for your weight and riding style, however, generally 250 2t and 450's are sprung for 160 pound individuals straight off the showroom floor.
Ahh :thumb:

Knowing what the stock fork springs are doesn't really matter in his case. From what he's saying he's bottoming out pretty bad which means new fork springs regardless. And by checking your race/static sag you can figure out if your rear shock spring rate needs to go up, down, or stay the same. Hence my confusion as to why he has to buy a factory service manual to figure out if he needs new springs.

I would strongly recommend a service manual for working on the bike though.

All those spring rate charts make assumptions about how a bike will be used. If you are doing giant impacts you might need like something stiffer than recommended. It would suck for trail riding, but it might not bottom when landing a triple. Suspension is a compromise, so pick what works best for your riding situation.

I do have to say that it does sound like something is wrong other than the spring rate.