Found the limit of the 250. :0(

Well this weekend I went out and played with the boys. I'm a lighter guy (140#) figured a 250 would be all I ever needed. Well guess what! Tried to climb some hills to get where we were going and the ole 250 just didn't have the nuts to do it. The hills were deep sand and I would get about 3/4 the way up and then she would just loose to much speed. The guys I rode with of course said it was just me and jumped on my bike......haha I made it farther up then they did.....:P Anyways we finally just let them go over the top and I found a way around that wasn't so steep and sandy. But in the sand there just isn't any replacement for displacement.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Right On. Maybe a little different gearing could help out? To fine tune your final drive is sometimes impossible. I set up the bike for each riding location with carburetor slide/needle, and final drive.
Also, you may need to adjust your jetting for different altitudes.
A decent cruizing speed in the desert is going to make it harder to do a huge hill climb in a mountainous situation. And vice a versa.
I usually buy a few sprockets and chains and fool around till i find what-works-where. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Edit- I've seen people on 250s get alot further up hill climbs than me on the 5hundo. Proper set-up is key.

Time to uncork that WR Bryce. Slap a nice aftermarket exhaust on there and jet it. It will breathe a little more and give you that extra umph to get you over the top.

Time to uncork that WR Bryce. Slap a nice aftermarket exhaust on there and jet it. It will breathe a little more and give you that extra umph to get you over the top.

You think that little bit will gain me enough power?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Horsepower=FLOW
Horsepower is only created by how well the engine breathes. What goes in must come out, and the more smoothly/balanced you can do it, the better.
Open up the airbox, open up the pipe. Jetted properly. Viola! -BIG DAN:ride: