All First DBA Space Ride?

It's about more than just the cash. I don't mind dropping some coin on this as the experience is once in a lifetime. Not to mention the trip that we could make out of it and the fun times we get out of that. Dirt biking is ALOT more cash to see and experience the desert and mountains but I would rather spend it and experience the adventures then watch youtube videos of riding and camping. You can always read and watch people have fun or you could step up to the plate and be the one being watched having fun :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
If it's pumping out a GPS signal on the ground (not in a body of water), I CAN FIND IT. Geocaching is my specialty! -BIG DAN:thumb:

For all of us Socal guys, look at this vid of some Santa Clarita guys launching a Coors Light up into space. I'm sure some of the ariel views will look familiar to to you guys.

Alright after looking into more of the FAA requirements. Looks like we need to mount one of these on the ballon. Best place they say to mount it is to put on the opposite side of the support beam that will hold the camera.

http://www.sky-probe.com/Accessories-Radar_Reflector.html

and looks like FCC and FAA requires the package to be able to be tracked with a GPS device NOT a cell phone. So while people use iphones to find them at the end of the trip, law technically requires a gps device on board. Most common method and advised method used is a SPOT gps tracker as they can be tracked through out the entire trip. Those only cost $100 BUT require $150 membership. Trav. would you be willing to "volunteer" :smirk: your spot?

i prolly would if this really went down.

i prolly would if this really went down.

Oh it's going to happen Trav! :thumb:

So I've been looking into the process of actually inflating and letting the balloon go and it's pretty straightforward. Heck there are multiple Jr High students and high school students that have done this, why couldn't be able to figure it out? :smirk:

Here is a simple video explaining the prepping of the ballon for filling.

And here is the launching parts explained in a simple how to video.

Only thing left to figure out is where can we get a helium tank to rent or borrow? Anyone have any idea of cost to fill up the ballon?

Looking at prices. Ballon is between $50-$100 depending on how high we want it go go. Nice medium sized ballon that goes about 100k feet is $80. - One time use.

5ft quality parachute $50- Reusable (sellable if wanted afterwards)

Radar Reflector $40- Reusable (sellable if wanted)

Small Styrofoam box with pvc pipe mounted on bottom and hand warmers inside -$10

This website sells most of everything needed at the best prices. Cameras and GPS tracker we could gather among ourselves.
http://www.sky-probe.com

Total cost thus far W/O helium and W/O fitting adapter and with using our own GPS and cameras (I got one Contour Roam helmet cam plus a digital cam that can be used inside the box with a cut out hole for the lens) = $180

Experience and great day of riding, bbq'ing with friends and tracking down package = priceless :thumb:

So any one have any more exact recommendation on location? Preferably with about 40-60 miles of accessible land in every direction (no military bases or restricted areas and no Water bodies unless we add flotations which we could do)

Has anyone said you guys are a bunch of goof balls? I will help find it after the launch. but the epic-ness falls short of a good bong hit. Oh wait, Jrun stated this thread. never mind about the bong hit.

i dont have money to help with this project but i do have some of the equipment. i really need my spot (and my 2nd one already)so im a little sketched about throwing it up but my gopro is np. I will prolly throw the spot in anyway.

So looking at helium options, looks like its about $140 worth of helium to fill up the balloon. Hydrogen can also be used at a lower cost but its ALOT more dangerous as it's EXTREMELY flammable as even static electricity can make it go boom. So helium is best as it's also easily found. Adding up the cost, looks like the trip will cost close to $500 with the cost of a tank.

Same price as new Scotts steering stabilizer :thinking: