First Bike?

Hey, I'm on sort of a low budget so other then KTM what kind of bikes are good for beginners?

Im just under 6 foot and way 180ish. I have a quad and motorsports experience and all my neighbors have dirtbikes. I've ridden one of them, (Honda crf 230f) and always stalled it in first gear. He would always have to help me with the clutch. I'm hoping the clutch comes with experience because the whole shifting thing was ok. The only problem I had was tight cornering ( or more turning in something other than a huge arch) but I figure that would come with practice too. My friends say I should be looking for a smaller bike, like a 125 or 150 because most of them tend to be starter bikes.

Any advice?

James

Staff member
The one thing you forgot to tell us is what type of riding will you be doing? Trails or track/motocross?

If you have a low budget and you're going to be doing MX I'd say a 125. However if you can do your own engine work (adjust valves, replace piston, etc.) a 250f would also be an option.

BTW welcome to DBA. :thumb:

Welcome to DBA. :wave:

I would have to say at your size you will need to get a full size bike for sure. I don't know if a 125 would be a good first bike they like to have their throttle twisted to the extreme and all the time. If you are just starting out on a bike I would say you need something you can lug around on until you feel comfortable on it and get use to using the clutch. With a 125 2st you have to clutch the piss out of it to keep the revs up. IMO not a good starter bike. I would say a XR200 or 250 or a 250 4st trail version like 250WR would great bike to start out on as they are more forgiving to learners. Good luck :thumb:

I was told to avoid 2st because the clutch is a hell of a lot harder, and this bike would be more for tracks. I have a quad, and the main reason for the dirtbike would be for jumps and stuff like that. I know it takes a long time to work up to that, so I set my goals low. I was also told that crf 250's are huge and that my friend who's crf I was riding ( he's 6'1' 160) was upgrading to that. He's been riding for 6 years. I mean if I can barely handle his bike he has now, why would I shift up to a bike hes upgrading to. I was also looking into maybe getting a WR125 or whatever the yamaha 2st trail bike is and just upgrading the shocks on it. That way its more of a tame 2st instead of a racing bike. I'm also wary of the fact that 2st are much harder to handle, but if you learn on one, it should just come naturaly? I mean I'm no afraid to fall, and I have a huge backyard and lots of free time and gas. Would learning on a 2st be possible? I lean so heavily towards 2st because they're literaly thousands of dollars cheaper then their equivalent 4st. Lemme' know what you guys think.

James

Staff member
I was told to avoid 2st because the clutch is a hell of a lot harder, and this bike would be more for tracks.
Are 125's harder to ride? Maybe, depends on the person. They do however teach you better riding skills/technique as you have to learn to keep your momentum up to go fast. In my opinion 2 strokes work better on a track as they like being wound out, kind of hard to do on trails.
I lean so heavily towards 2st because they're literaly thousands of dollars cheaper then their equivalent 4st. Lemme' know what you guys think.
This tends to get over-hyped, if you do your own work 4 strokes aren't that much more to own. Do 4 strokes on average cost more? Yes. But by how much is dependent on if you do you own work vs taking to a stealership to get fixed. And also if you keep up on your maintenance, you can't skimp on this or it well come back to bite you in the arse.

BTW in case you didn't know, I'm a 4 stroke guy. :P

Appears you got some miss information

, I'm on sort of a low budget so other then KTM what kind of bikes are good for beginners
Steaming piles of orange are not always higher priced...
I was told to avoid 2st because the clutch is a hell of a lot harder,
Clutch is the same as a 4 stroke
I was also told that crf 250's are huge
They are actually the smallest feeling 250f I have ridden
I was also looking into maybe getting a WR125 or whatever the yamaha 2st trail bike is and just upgrading the shocks on it.
yz125, the suspension is great stock
Would learning on a 2st be possible?
yes

Yes, with the cluthch I meant using it more. Also, This is a craigslist bike, and we plan on doing all our maintenance ourselves. I'm not an amateur with motors, just with dirtbikes and clutches :P But I was more worried about a 2 st being too jumpy and harder to ride whereas a 2st trail bike would be toned down and we could just upgrade the shocks to make it jumpable. Is that out of the question?

Also, I couldn't find if the Yamaha "TT" line of bikes was 2st or not. You guys happened to know?

First thing first. Get what you can afford. It really doesnt matter if its a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Both are equal when it comes to learning how operate the clutch. As for the size of bike you should get. Well your pretty big person at 6 foot 180 lbs. I say go bigger than what you think you need.

Heres my reasons; Because you new to the whole operation of the clutch and your size your going to need something that is going to have a little bit more power (torque) to get the bike rolling. Once you get accustomed to operating the clutch and riding the bike you will likely gain experience quickly if your able to ride as much as you stated. With this in mind you will out grow a smaller machine rather quickly, and want a larger machine. So I say dont waste your time getting a 150 4 stroke or a 125 2stroke. A 250 F would be a great starter bike. It has lots of low end torque and can be ridden plenty fast. However for larger riders who are ready to do more ride faster etc. may find the 250 F lacking in power later on.

So this is my opinion take it for what its worth to you. I have never owned a 4 stroke bikes. I learned how to ride 2 stroke bikes. If I can learn how to do it anybody can. I think the 2 stroke bike is a fine platform to learn on. Now based off what info youve given I say go 250 2 stroke. It makes plenty of power for your height and weight and when your ready to go faster and do more it will give it to you. Just remember. That just because your riding a 250CC 2 stroke bike that really makes good power doesnt mean that you have to use all that power right away. Its all about throttle control. Same goes with the 450 4 stroke. It REALLY make LOTS of power. But just like the 2 stroke machine it can be very tame to learn how to ride if you ride it that way. Throttle control. Both a 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes will hurt (kill) you equally if you dont use some control.

Now all you have to do is decide what type bike you want find the right price range and pull the trigger and buy it.

Yes, with the cluthch I meant using it more. Also, This is a craigslist bike, and we plan on doing all our maintenance ourselves. I'm not an amateur with motors, just with dirtbikes and clutches :P But I was more worried about a 2 st being too jumpy and harder to ride whereas a 2st trail bike would be toned down and we could just upgrade the shocks to make it jumpable. Is that out of the question?

Also, I couldn't find if the Yamaha "TT" line of bikes was 2st or not. You guys happened to know?

A 2T bikes clutch and power delivery are a little different than a 4T bike. I wouldnt call it jumpy from a start. Maybe a little bit if your just learning but its a very smooth operation once youve figured it out.

The only difference really between a 2T MX bike and a 2T trail bike is going to be the power. The MX bike makes a little more. As for the suspention The 2T trail bike might have a little softer spring but I doubt it. You would not have to change the whole shock. Only the spring to compensate for riding style and rider weight.

As for the Yamaha TT bikes. To the best of my knowledge Yamaha didnt make any TT bikes in 2T, only 4T.

Appears you got some miss information

Steaming piles of orange are not always higher priced...
Clutch is the same as a 4 stroke
They are actually the smallest feeling 250f I have ridden
yz125, the suspension is great stock
yes

Excellent example of multi-quoting :thumb:

Jos - You're right about KTM's or any euro price...they aren't much higher (if at all) than say a Japanese bike...not like we're comparing a Nissan to a BMW where the difference is in the 10's of thousands...

Clutches - you learn to use it with the bike.

Size...it's a matter offit...personal preference.

Suspension - Don't settle and then spend...get what you can from the beginning.

That is all...:prof:...oh and welcome to DBA! :thumb:

I guess I could have said...yea, what he said...but that's not my style I have to whore it up a bit! :smirk:

Found a 2002 xr200r. Its in good shape and only wants 1500$. Probably gonna be my first bike because lots of reviews say its a good beginner bike to learn on and it still puts out. Only complaints were it didnt go above 80 and couldn't wheelie in first gear ( not that big of a deal :P). Any words against it?

The one thing you forgot to tell us is what type of riding will you be doing? Trails or track/motocross?

If you have a low budget and you're going to be doing MX I'd say a 125. However if you can do your own engine work (adjust valves, replace piston, etc.) a 250f would also be an option.

BTW welcome to DBA. :thumb:

Changing pistons and 125's go together like PB&J

A 2T bikes clutch and power delivery are a little different than a 4T bike. I wouldnt call it jumpy from a start. Maybe a little bit if your just learning but its a very smooth operation once youve figured it out.

The only difference really between a 2T MX bike and a 2T trail bike is going to be the power. The MX bike makes a little more. As for the suspention The 2T trail bike might have a little softer spring but I doubt it. You would not have to change the whole shock. Only the spring to compensate for riding style and rider weight.

As for the Yamaha TT bikes. To the best of my knowledge Yamaha didnt make any TT bikes in 2T, only 4T.

nooot necessarily. 2T trail bikes make more torque/have more bottom end.

Found a 2002 xr200r. Its in good shape and only wants 1500$. Probably gonna be my first bike because lots of reviews say its a good beginner bike to learn on and it still puts out. Only complaints were it didnt go above 80 and couldn't wheelie in first gear ( not that big of a deal :P). Any words against it?

Sounds like a great deal:thumb: Pics or link?

price is too high, you are too big for it as well...:thumb:

Id get the xr250 for a first bike

You're in Washington, he's in jersey. Different markets.