Finally changed my own tires

Dunlop 490s or 139s up front and 695s out back were the schnizzel in the dez.

I have never had a shop mount a dirt bike tire for me. I have always done them myself. Yes I have had my share of chucking tools across the street and bashing knuckles on the sprocket, but other than that, it is easier to change a tire yourself then to run it to the shop.

Dunlop 490s or 139s up front and 695s out back were the schnizzel in the dez.

I have never had a shop mount a dirt bike tire for me. I have always done them myself. Yes I have had my share of chucking tools across the street and bashing knuckles on the sprocket, but other than that, it is easier to change a tire yourself then to run it to the shop.

The dunlops above were a harder tire right? How does that affect cornering?

The dunlops above were a harder tire right? How does that affect cornering?
The 490 was better for cornering then the 139, but the 139 was a little better stable at high speeds and better for not getting flats. I double tubed and ran 490s for running up in Nevada on BITD events. Now the 695DT (Desert) for the rear was a hard tire, but man did that thing hook up. My 500s would eat them for a snack though.

The 490 was better for cornering then the 139, but the 139 was a little better stable at high speeds and better for not getting flats. I double tubed and ran 490s for running up in Nevada on BITD events. Now the 695DT (Desert) for the rear was a hard tire, but man did that thing hook up. My 500s would eat them for a snack though.
If cornering were the most important thing, say more important than high speed, what would you run?

If cornering were the most important thing, say more important than high speed, what would you run?
I liked the 490 better overall, but I did get a nice stack of 139s for FREE so I ran those until they ran out. I did trade a couple 139s for 490s with a guy who sold bike parts at the races..

Why not Ryno?
I just looked at Dunlops new line up. The 51 is a intermediate to hard terrain tire. I have a lot trouble with the front washing out. I think that I am going to try a MX31 next which is their soft terrain tire. The 51's do hold up really well for you trail guys though. I would just rather have the extra traction over durability.

James

Staff member
I just looked at Dunlops new line up. The 51 is a intermediate to hard terrain tire. I have a lot trouble with the front washing out. I think that I am going to try a MX31 next which is their soft terrain tire. The 51's do hold up really well for you trail guys though. I would just rather have the extra traction over durability.
See around here we have a more rocky/gravel soil, which I guess the MX51 works great on. But can get eaten up pretty quick. :noidea: