Father son project

Do any of you have any Father son projects.

Two winters ago my family rented a cabin in the mountains and all of the furniture was log furniture and my wife really loved the bed room suit. So for our wedding anniversary, I decided that I would make her one of these beds. My 10yo son helped me on this and he did allot of work too. We hand peeled the logs which I got from my property. These are all Eastern red cedar. I used drills, saws and a chainsaw but no specialty tools were used. I figured I have about $50 in material in this bed. Bolts, varnish, sand paper and hours and hours of labor. So what do you think?
img036.jpg
img037.jpg
img035.jpg
img043.jpg
img057.jpg
img058.jpg
bed 006.jpg
bed 008.jpg
bed 007.jpg

Really nice job. Wish I was that talented.:thumb:

Outstanding Jackson :thumb: Do you have a big shop to work in? What kind of varnish did you use.

Thanks guys!!

To answer your question Edge, no, I don't own a shop but my dad has a two story garage that he let me work out of while I was doing that in secrete away from my wife. That was another challenge in itself.. going over to my parents house every weekend spending hours on it and coming home with dirty, sap covered cloths. My wife isn't dumb, she knew I was up to something, just not this... I sent her to NY with her sister for a few days for her Grad present and brought it home and set it up while she was gone.

I used a water based clear coat and I can't think of the name right off hand but I got it at Lowes it was pretty exspensive. One qt was $17. I only used water based because I had to get it done fast and I knew it wasn't ever going to be outside.

Now you can probably see why that stuff is so expensive - it's pretty labour intensive. I need to get some kind of varnish/clearcoat/treatment for a project I am working on but it will be outdoors.

Now you can probably see why that stuff is so expensive - it's pretty labour intensive. I need to get some kind of varnish/clearcoat/treatment for a project I am working on but it will be outdoors.
That is illegal in the states...:smirk:

yeah, I know how much labor I put into it. Damn it took about 6 months of weekends, not every weekend but most weekends. I am looking a doing another project for a swing for outside. I will see if the stuff I used will work outside and let you know. It really doesn't matter what you use outside as long as you know every two years or maybe sooner in your neck of the woods you re-treat it.

Here is kind of what I am looking at doing next but for my mother in law at their cabin on the river.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cedar-Log-5-Outdoor-Yard-Swing/11988176

I have to take a picture of my buddy's cabin interior. He used whole trees for the stairway up to a loft and did lots of nice things with the flora garnered off the land! Very nice job! :thumb:

I was thinking :thinking: Wood is the 5th anniversary gift but your son who helped is 10. Did you just figure who cares about that traditional crap? Or was it, baby, you give me wood. :lol:

Oh, I forgot...nice job on that bed.