Exhaust Packing

:prof: My bike's one of the (if not the) quietest at the local track, ask anybody that's ridden with me. What would I ride instead? And don't say 2 stroke as those are some of the loudest guys there. :bonk:

Yeah really, the bikes aren't that quite either :smirk:

I don't know James, I never repacked mine and its always preformed to par, just as good as when the bike was new. never backfired, never crackled, just the same hardy 250 sound as always :noidea:

Are we supposed to do this sometimes? :thinking: I have never repacked a muffler in 6 years on my YZ450 nor 2 years on the 530 and they never sound any different. Maybe I don't turn the throttle far enough. :smirk:
What do you guys use to repack your 4 stroke exhaust? I'm currently using the FMF Silencer Packing (Click Here), but it burns out very quickly. We're talking 10 or less hours. :bonk:

The only other packing I've found was Dr. D, but I read that they have a lot of not fitting issues. Plus it also burns out pretty quickly (and cost more).

Is it just one of those things that you have to deal with and repack all the time or is there something that lasts longer (without draining the wallet)?

James

Staff member
I don't know James, I never repacked mine and its always preformed to par, just as good as when the bike was new. never backfired, never crackled, just the same hardy 250 sound as always :noidea:
Your carb is what causes that.

It goes gradually so chances are that you just grow accustom to it and don't realize that it's actually louder. :noidea:

yea you really dont need to repack that often james. maybe once a year or so is what i always heard.
This is what mine looked like after 10-15 hours. Brand new it wraps around 2.5-3 times, it'd burnt through all but one layer.
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/for...cussion/2681-time-change-exhaust-packing.html

Maybe I don't turn the throttle far enough. :smirk:
:devil: :popcorn: :smirk:

do you mean because its black james? cause it looks like it was tore up from you removing the packing to me, NO WAY in hell do you need to replace that stuff every 10 hours!

if you feel like wasting the money and if you feel it makes your bike run better sure.... go ahead and replace it that often but like others have stated in here people go years without replacing packing and it dont make a noticable difference.

James

Staff member
No it's not because it's black and no I didn't tear......nevermind I give up....:facepalm:

:thinking: I'll take a video the next time I replace it. :noidea:

james,
dig.png
:thumb:

Packing is over rated.....:smirk:

I change it out each season as packing does effect performance as well as sound. My 2 stroke is where you see the performance difference the most. You will get a crisp throttle response with fresh packing. I have always run the FMF packing on both bikes and works and last well.

James

Staff member
This is what my exhaust packing looks like after 10ish hours, I usually go 15 but this thread.....:rant: :smirk:

Pulling it out of the can.
Exhaust_1.jpg

Out of the can and no I didn't tear it. :moon:
Exhaust_2.jpg

As you can see it'd burnt all the way through and the inside of my can was all black (charred) at that spot.
Exhaust_3.jpg

Packing unrolled, again I did not tear it. :prof:
Exhaust_4.jpg

Side-by-side comparison of the new vs. old packing.
Exhaust_5.jpg

:thinking: I'm thinking that my jetting may be off a little and is causing it to get burnt up quicker. Either that or it's my riding style. :noidea: Another option is that there's water getting past the exhaust plug when I wash it.

This is what my exhaust packing looks like after 10ish hours, I usually go 15 but this thread.....:rant: :smirk:

Pulling it out of the can.
View attachment 4065

Out of the can and no I didn't tear it. :moon:
View attachment 4066

As you can see it'd burnt all the way through and the inside of my can was all black (charred) at that spot.
View attachment 4067

Packing unrolled, again I did not tear it. :prof:
View attachment 4068

Side-by-side comparison of the new vs. old packing.
View attachment 4069

:thinking: I'm thinking that my jetting may be off a little and is causing it to get burnt up quicker. Either that or it's my riding style. :noidea: Another option is that there's water getting past the exhaust plug when I wash it.

Rub a little lithum auto grease on your muffler plug for the next 8 hours to make sure no water gets through. Then it limits it to jetting or riding style.