Exhaust Packing

James

Staff member
What do you guys use to repack your 4 stroke exhaust? I'm currently using the FMF Silencer Packing (Click Here), but it burns out very quickly. We're talking 10 or less hours. :bonk:

The only other packing I've found was Dr. D, but I read that they have a lot of not fitting issues. Plus it also burns out pretty quickly (and cost more).

Is it just one of those things that you have to deal with and repack all the time or is there something that lasts longer (without draining the wallet)?

James

Staff member
10 hours.... pffft have well over 40 hours on my FMF silencer packing
I guess I'd better say that I do have a 250f and I tend to rev it a bit. BTW when was the last time you actually took your exhaust apart to check, you might be surprised. :P

I guess I'd better say that I do have a 250f and I tend to rev it a bit. BTW when was the last time you actually took your exhaust apart to check, you might be surprised. :P
bike runs great :noidea: why i would

seriously tho repacking after that short of time... WTF are you a factory racer? i know people how have owned their bikes for years and NEVER change the packing.

what your saying is change the packing with every oil change... cause i go 10 hours before a oil change

James

Staff member
seriously tho repacking after that short of time... WTF are you a factory racer? i know people how have owned their bikes for years and NEVER change the packing.
And why do you think places are getting shutdown due to sound complaints?

For the record I don't change the packing just for performance (like Trav pointed out, I'm not on a factory bike :P), but to keep the sound low. :thumb: I HATE loud bikes. :foul:

And why do you think places are getting shutdown due to sound complaints?

For the record I don't change the packing just for performance (like Trav pointed out, I'm not on a factory bike :P), but to keep the sound low. :thumb: I HATE loud bikes. :foul:

the sound is not THAT much of a difference. at least that i can tell. a loud pipe is gonna be loud even with new packing.

James

Staff member
:thumb: Yep, James, if you were that concered with sound you wouldn't ride a 250f mx bike :thumb:
:prof: My bike's one of the (if not the) quietest at the local track, ask anybody that's ridden with me. What would I ride instead? And don't say 2 stroke as those are some of the loudest guys there. :bonk:

2 stokes have 0 problems making DB regulations.... 4 stokes have always suffered:prof:

4 stroke sound carries further than a 2stroke for sure! Even if a 2st is louder at site you will hear a 4st from further distances. Thats why places get Shut down. I am not saying your bike is loud James as I never heard it but more noise pollutant bikes are caused from the low monotone sound of a bellowing 4 banger.

James

Staff member
2 stokes have 0 problems making DB regulations.... 4 stokes have always suffered:prof:
Oh really, then how come 2 strokes get two extra db?

AMA Sound Test Chart.jpg

4 stroke sound carries further than a 2stroke for sure! Even if a 2st is louder at site you will hear a 4st from further distances. Thats why places get Shut down. I am not saying your bike is loud James as I never heard it but more noise pollutant bikes are caused from the low monotone sound of a bellowing 4 banger.
You do have a point. :thumb: