125 Exhaust coming out of power valve drain tube

It looks like it is running richer than catshit. Probably had the float set last in 2002-2003 depending on when the carburetor was minted. They will blow smoke out of everything when they are running raw fuel down the intake. JUST MAYBE it is where you were getting the smell of gas!! :prof: So check the float valve, set it, make sure that the floats are even and level with eachother and clean the carburetor. Including knocking out the need jet and holder and cleaning behind it.

Make sure that your pv moves freely. Likely with all the fuel and oil flowing all over it, it is quite free though.

Plug dark or even oily looking?

Oily looking. And this summer i switched it back to 410 main after having a 420 in it for winter. Ive been running 32:1 with fmf fatty and shorty. Thinking of going to 40:1. Amzoil Dominator.

Just contacted the previous owner and he said that he tried messing with the float height for "better performance". Looks like i have to re tune it. The stupid shit some people do because someone says itll increase the bikes performance.

It looks like it is running richer than catshit. Probably had the float set last in 2002-2003 depending on when the carburetor was minted. They will blow smoke out of everything when they are running raw fuel down the intake. JUST MAYBE it is where you were getting the smell of gas!! :prof: So check the float valve, set it, make sure that the floats are even and level with eachother and clean the carburetor. Including knocking out the need jet and holder and cleaning behind it.

Make sure that your pv moves freely. Likely with all the fuel and oil flowing all over it, it is quite free though.

Plug dark or even oily looking?
Richer than catshit? Is that a trade term?

Just contacted the previous owner and he said that he tried messing with the float height for "better performance". Looks like i have to re tune it. The stupid shit some people do because someone says itll increase the bikes performance.

Get used to setting it if you want it to run consistently. Carbureted bikes that compete at the national level are scarce now, but when they were common theirs were set at least every event.

So it turns out, the float height was in spec... But the little e clip on the needle was lowered one slot... Could that be the reason its running rich as shit? Its not seating all the way so its letting extra gas in? I moved it back up one slot to stock, still havent got the bike back together but im sure as hell hoping that was the problem...

SRAD97750

Staff member
It could be part of the issue, but one needle clip movement isn't going to cure "running rich as shit."
The needle primarily controls 1/4-1/2 throttle openings. So if it runs fine in that throttle range, the needle setting is not the issue. -BIG DAN:thumb: