Establishing credit

21 years old.
No credit
No debt
No loans
Very livable consistent income

I spend the most money at Amazon and Costco.

How should I go about it?

Get a small loan, have dad co-sign. Put that money in the bank. use that money to make the payments, Pay it back on time. Never be late on payments.

Get a CC, get a cap of $500 on it so you don't get in trouble. Use it for gas only and pay it off every month so you don't have any interest.

the only way to build credit is you use credit.

Taking out a loan does not Seem appealing as I make way more than I spend. And being a finance major it just really seems unnatural to give money away on interest like that.
That is very true but guess what, you can pay cash all your life and never have any credit. Try to buy a house. Even the bank won't take 150k cash.

I co-signed my sons first car for 4500. He paid it off and never miss a payment. His second car, he got his own loan for 10.5k and I didn't have to touch it. He got as good as interest rate as I could. Now as long as he doesn't miss or late with any payments he should be able to get a loan for a house. He also uses a CC for gas with $500 limit and pays it off every month. Just one more way to build credit.

When my Daughter got a job, we took her pay check and opened a checking account, and also got her a credit card, with a low limit. I told her buy anything she was going to buy anyway, on the card, and then pay the whole balance each month. Eight months later when she was looking at cars, she had a 745 credit score.

James

Staff member
Taking out a loan does not Seem appealing as I make way more than I spend. And being a finance major it just really seems unnatural to give money away on interest like that.
Unless you have 6 or 7 figures in cash, you need to have credit. You can pay cash for pretty much everything except a house.

What I would suggest is getting a secured card and paying it off every month, doesn't cost you anything. One thing you have to watch out for though is your credit-to-debt ratio. This is basically your credit limit compared to your amount charged that month. Best practice is to keep that percentage in the single digits. This gets tricky though when you only have a $500 limit, that's a whopping $50 a month you could charge to it. One way around that though is making a payment before your billing cycle closes.

That is very true but guess what, you can pay cash all your life and never have any credit. Try to buy a house. Even the bank won't take 150k cash.
We buy houses for cash all the time. :noidea:
Yeah with 6k. I applied at my bank too
Try a Credit Union if you haven't already.