250 Engine noise normal?

Sounds like a rod knock to me.
Time to tear done and figure it out but it would be cheap especially if u have been riding with a knock for a while.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Was told by a few guys who have the same model, same year, they said not to worry about it, their bikes do it even after a full rebuild, but will definitely keep my ear on it if it gets worse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when they say a full rebuild I am doubting a fresh bore. but you can get that with some engines pretty early on, especially at low idle. anyway, yours sounds different to me than a crankshaft does when it is going out. things to check for are such things as the rotor hitting the stator (sometimes due to bad main bearings) and ever loose exhaust components, springs etc right near the connection with the cylinder.

Was told by a few guys who have the same model, same year, they said not to worry about it, their bikes do it even after a full rebuild, but will definitely keep my ear on it if it gets worse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yeah? I had that same bike. That growl is a combination of piston slap and powervalves. Both which need to be attended to. When rebuilt it will have a different type of growl which is the exhaust pipe rattle at the cylinder. I never found a way to correct that.

Lol. He is listening to a rattle and others who are listening to one which hasn't blownup "yet"!

Haha....I am rebuilding it, but I can almost guarantee that if anyone else has a KX250 and puts the camera close to the engine, it will more than likely make the same noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New cylinder? Taking the top off like you are doing is the right thing when there is any doubt.
Haha....I am rebuilding it, but I can almost guarantee that if anyone else has a KX250 and puts the camera close to the engine, it will more than likely make the same noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good to hear you are doing it. Anytime someone posts a video of a "sound" and then seeks confirmation that everything is OK is headed for disaster! Don't take anyone's word for your bike Michael you do what YOU think is right after all it's your bike your money and your ass on the line when you ride it. Lock up on a jump face and pitch you head first into a helicopter and you can thank the guys on the Internet for telling you to "not worry about it"

Last edited: