Pro Dungey Retires

Did dungey really have much high caliber competition doing his titles tho?

He had the best available, and he won championships. Hell, has anyone had the level of competition that Bob Hannah, David Bailey, or Rick Johnson had? I keep thinking the idea is to play the game by the rules, stretch the rules, and play it strategically so that you DON'T end up being one of the riders on the "he would have won more championships" IF list.

Last edited:
I was at a race where a young Ryan Villopoto basically beat the crap out of the entire world on a 250, riding on a course that had some great uphills. The list of people he beat included all of the gp champs of the time and Rick Carmichael and Chad Reed. It really wasn't close. Ryan Villopoto should be richer than he is.

it was a des nations event, which year I don't remember.
RV imo was the best racer of the modern era. I used to think he quit because he hated his job and he only cared about the money, but he stayed with kawi despite being offered more to ride other bikes apparently.

I was in Maryland for that one. All the euros were WAY behind him. Cairiolo seemed to have lots of fun talking to the crowd though. No real success on the track, never did think he would make it if he came over. he was smart not to. I think lots of the drain on RV was his family, so he had no money early on to invest and sit on.

I was in Maryland for that one. All the euros were WAY behind him. Cairiolo seemed to have lots of fun talking to the crowd though. No real success on the track, never did think he would make it if he came over. he was smart not to. I think lots of the drain on RV was his family, so he had no money early on to invest and sit on.
the year he went and raced mxgp was cut short, and one win isn't enough to say he smoked them, but the one race over there where he was in fighting form, Thailand, he smoked all of them. AC racing our style of mx would probably put him back around 5-10th place

All the top riders in their prime, dungey doesn't even qualify for the main, in the LCQ ML5 tosses him over a berm on the last corner

I wish we could see that. There were days when Ryan Dungey pulled out the stops so to speak and stood up well to everyone that was in his time period. If I had a son or close friend planning on a racing career, his way of handling his is one that I would prefer over all but one. Funny how all those things they say about him were sometimes felt about his last boss.

I dislike the ordeal in new jersey where it was a matter of let dungey bye (certain members will get it) ET3 really had his # this season and RD5 knows it, but it is what it is. For the most part I think Dungey was the classiest guy in racing aside from a few out bursts this season (probably stress, it gets to everyone)

Nothing surprising. Marvin just didn't read english well enough to understand the script early on. No one will care before long. Both of the top contenders had it within their OWN reach.