DS80 Kick start shaft replacement?

Hi all,
I picked up a 1983 Suzuki DS80 for my son to learn to ride on. However, it needs the kick start shaft replaced. I ordered a manual online but with the 'rona, there is no telling how long it will take to arrive. So I started looking around online to try and find info, but am not coming up with anything. Surprisingly I can't even find a youtube video. Anyone know how to get this shaft out so I can replace it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• kickstartshaft.jpg
    kickstartshaft.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the diagram!

Sadly it does not pull out. I notice on the new part there is a hole on the back end, which I had assumed a pin of some sort went in that held it. But it doesn't seem to be the case on the diagram, so... I am stumped. I really don't want to have to split the case to find out but I am really unsure why I am so stuck here.

Attachments

• kickstartshaft2.jpg
    kickstartshaft2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 12

SRAD97750

Staff member
The spring goes through the collar, and locks into that hole, as per the diagram. Perhaps that is going on inside the cases! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Just Bought a 81 ds80 and the first thing I noticed was the Kickstarter shaft was completely stripped. But the previous owner stripped all the screws that hold the clutch cover haha:smirk::smirk:.... No wonder he sold it cheap.. Any ideas how to get out stripped screws?

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
There are quite a few ways to remove stripped hardware, but they are all different based on specific application.
Some people like the drill and reverse out extractors.
You can drill the head off a fastener and remove the cover to gain access to more of the shank/threads.
Some people like using vice grips on a protruding head fastener.
Some people even like to use heat on everything to make it easier to remove.
Good luck! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Find a drill bit the next size larger than the bolt head ... drill it till head is seperated on all the bolts .. remove cover , then use vice grips to remove the remaining part of the screw ...