Pro Does Bike Size Really Matter?

OK, so I raced with a guy in the desert who was a 125cc rider, when he turned 30, he moved into the Vet class. The Vet class only had 2 size classes, Vet 250 (0 - 250) and Vet Open (250 - Open). Since the Vet 250 class was all on 250s, he went to a 250 as well. When he started off in the class he was not doing that great and felt slow, so he went back to his 125. Odd right? Well he rode harder and faster on the 125 in the desert than he did on the 250 and he started winning the class. So go figure in the open desert he was faster on a 125.

I dropped down from a 500 to a 250 in the desert to gain my skills until I was tapped out across the desert and getting passed by 500s which was hurting my overall results, so then I moved back to a 500 again.

Is that better Mihylo33?

James

Staff member
OK, so I raced with a guy in the desert who was a 125cc rider, when he turned 30, he moved into the Vet class. The Vet class only had 2 size classes, Vet 250 (0 - 250) and Vet Open (250 - Open). Since the Vet 250 class was all on 250s, he went to a 250 as well. When he started off in the class he was not doing that great and felt slow, so he went back to his 125. Odd right? Well he rode harder and faster on the 125 in the desert than he did on the 250 and he started winning the class. So go figure in the open desert he was faster on a 125.
In your opinion why was he just as fast if not faster on the smaller bike?

I dropped down from a 500 to a 250 in the desert to gain my skills until I was tapped out across the desert and getting passed by 500s which was hurting my overall results, so then I moved back to a 500 again.

Is that better Mihylo33?

:clap:

Much better CDA, you get a lollipop. (as I don't currently have a Nedgism to share with you for this moment)

256511.jpg

Not MX, but the following is a similar example.

Back in the late 90's there was a magazine article comparing the XR250, XR400, and XR600. The rider was Scott Summers. The testing course was a set of trails on the tight side. He was fastest on the 250 and slowest on the 600. Scott was kind of surprised at the result, but went on to say how a 250 would not work for his competitive events.

I don't know about some of the skinny guys on the forum, but my large ass needs as big of a piston as possible to lug me up the stuff I like to ride.

Bike size is all dependent on the size of the rider and how comfortable they are riding that size of bike... I like 250 2-strokes because they have a little more power than a 250F, but not an overwhelming amount like a 450. I also like the 250 2-strokes because they turn more like a 125 than a 250F or 450F... :thumb:

Not MX, but the following is a similar example.

Back in the late 90's there was a magazine article comparing the XR250, XR400, and XR600. The rider was Scott Summers. The testing course was a set of trails on the tight side. He was fastest on the 250 and slowest on the 600. Scott was kind of surprised at the result, but went on to say how a 250 would not work for his competitive events.

I don't know about some of the skinny guys on the forum, but my large ass needs as big of a piston as possible to lug me up the stuff I like to ride.

:devil: ....... :thumb: