Pro Does Bike Size Really Matter?

James

Staff member
Does this prove that bike size doesn't matter, it's all the rider? :stirthepot:

Average Lap Times:
Dungey (450f) - 2:11.156
Baggett (250f) - 2:10.440

segment times.png

P.S. To all you dirty minded people, don't even think about "fixing" the title. :moon:

There is a similar analogy in motrocycle road racing. There is not all that much difference between the 600cc lap times and the liter bikes. However, if they raced against each other the smaller bike has no chance assuming equal rider skill. The bigger bike can out accelerate to a large degree. The same thing holds to some degree in MX. Look at La Rocco's leap. Only Baggett cleared it while a good portion of the 450 field did it on every lap. The power advantage makes passing harder even if they can do the same lap times.

You also have to admin that there was a lot more of a race with the 250's. Looking at the times Dungey was able to ease off a lot more in the closing laps because he had such a lead.

If what you are trying to say is that a big bike isn't always the fastest, I'll agree 100%.

I don't know much about much but, I did learn this a long time ago - Never put a nail where a spike has been, it'll end up in complete and utter humiliation. :prof: And that's all I got for ya James. :smirk:

Oh and, good for Baggett. (ps; you were asking for it with that thread title weren't ya James - go on, admit it :lol:)

By the way it is all rider. I was once riding with as old pro MX racer. He likes the small bikes and was riding a friends 85. I had a real hard time keeping up on my 600. Now I'm slow, but I thought that I should at least be able to keep up. :lol:

You can't compare 2 different riders:lame:

For a TRUE test you need the same rider to ride them one after the other. Like Mike said the track does make a difference also.

James

Staff member

For a TRUE test you need the same rider to ride them one after the other. Like Mike said the track does make a difference also.
:rolleyes: This isn't a scientific test, it's just to get you thinking.

BTW if you want to get technical, dropping the last lap time puts Dungey ahead by ~.2 seconds. However Baggett still had the fastest single lap time.

Nah would probably throw it off also. One ride on a 250 is a different rider on a 450.