Do you use your clutch to shift?

I ran into a couple guys arguing about using the clutch. It got we wondering. One guy says once your rolling you shift without it. The other argued you always use it to shift. Then the guy arguing about not using it said no one he knows that races uses a clutch.

Hhhhmmm I just stayed out of this one.

So how do you shift?

James

Staff member
I ran into a couple guys arguing about using the clutch. It got we wondering. One guy says once your rolling you shift without it. The other argued you always use it to shift. Then the guy arguing about not using it said no one he knows that races uses a clutch.

Hhhhmmm I just stayed out of this one.

So how do you shift?
That's the way I've been taught. For up shifts roll off the throttle for a split second so there isn't a load while you shift. Down shifting, roll off the throttle and shift down as you come into the corner, the engine braking will also help you slow down. I will use the clutch though if the bike bogs or some times on the exit of corners. Shifting without the clutch is a very hard habit to break, I still struggle with it on some days.

Here is my take on the situation.

Using the clutch is easier on the transmission. In some situations there just isn't time to use the clutch. At those times I just shift. If I had to guess I shift without the clutch less than 5% of the time. It depends on the trail. Easy trail? 100% clutch. If I raced I'm sure I would go clutchless a lot more often.

On the pavement I use the clutch 100% of the time

I split but lean more to not using it. It is for stopping and starting first, then it is for keeping revs up to get thru an obstacle like hill, corner, rock, etc. I usually use it to down shift since there is more load that way, but not in a quick decision case. Years ago the manufacturers spent a great deaL OF TIME TO GET THE BIKES TRANSMISSIONS IN TIME-THE GEARS SPINNING AT SPEEDS WHICH WOULD LET THEM up SHIFT with full power with no clutch. This was a big deal at the time. Now the newer generation doesnt know how it was and think its always been this way. When i was a kid gear boxes would blow all the time.

Here is my take on the situation.

Using the clutch is easier on the transmission. In some situations there just isn't time to use the clutch. At those times I just shift. If I had to guess I shift without the clutch less than 5% of the time. It depends on the trail. Easy trail? 100% clutch. If I raced I'm sure I would go clutchless a lot more often.

Same with me...I know you CAN shift without it however to play it safe I use it unless in a panic mode coming to a quick turn, sudden up/down hill...:ride:

I use the clutch all the time. That is the reason I always have a finger on the lever. I have never been in a situation where I could not use it.

I use the clutch all the time. That is the reason I always have a finger on the lever. I have never been in a situation where I could not use it.

I have...but not often, however like going over a rough down hill whooped or rutted out section turning into a technical section where if you you were to pull the clutch in you may pick up speed which TO ME...may be a bad thing......further resulting in an un needed "dirt nap" :cry:!

I have...but not often, however like going over a rough down hill whooped or rutted out section turning into a technical section where if you you were to pull the clutch in you may pick up speed which TO ME...may be a bad thing......further resulting in an un needed "dirt nap" :cry:!
:shocked: That whole analogy just confused me.:shocked:

:shocked: That whole analogy just confused me.:shocked:

A I know is that I will need my camera ready when riding with Rez :thumb:

See, he got it...............kinda......All I was referring to was more of a panic situation (going down a rutted hill) than anything but then again I will also up shift at times without the clutch...I honestly don't like keeping a finger on the clutch/brake...I prefer all digits on the grips! Maybe I'm a little goofy...... :bonk:

What's a clutch? :noidea:

But seriously I always always always am feathering my clutch. Unless it's a open section or some quad trails where I can fly I have to to keep my bike from stalling out in the areas I ride/race. Feathering the clutch at the right time means the difference between having mad traction or spinning out in most cases too. I can think of one section on my practice loop in particular that if you're not working your clutch your not making it up the hill. The hill by itself isn't the challenge, it's the right hand turn over some logs and roots and rocks at the bottom and the roots and rocks in the middle followed by a hump a bit farther up with a sharp 90 to the right at the top followed by another longer but less as aggressive hill that gets ya :thumb:

As far as shifting goes I rarely use it to uoshift but always use it to down shift. I just feel downshifting is harder on the clutch. Upshifting at the right time, like stated above, is no worse in my mind than pulling the clutch itself. :noidea:

I'm a clutch ABUSER unfortunately I still try to ride my 450 like I'm on a 250 2smoke, I'm just glad Yamaha put those big ole on the fly clutch adjusters on my bike cause I need it for sure. BUT I don't use my clutch on up shifts part of the time and down shifts part of the time

I will always use the clutch if I'm just putting around the camp or riding with slower riders, when riding with my dad or other faster riders I rarely use the clutch while upshifting. I always use the clutch while downshifting no matter what just cuz if i don't the engine sometimes stalls on me or there's some backfiring that occurs if I slow down to fast... a old family friend who used to drag race bikes said he'd never use the clutch, always back off a hair then shift and twist :ride: