do I need to clean my engine?

lol, yeah those reeds sure clean out everything!! Heck, I am tossing my air filter!! what with a carburetor and reeds to catch the "whatevers". After way too many builds to count and way too many broken, burned, and seized pieces, any of mine would be coming down for inspection. I hear what JB is saying about not going further than the reeds if there is no junk there, but it isn't something I could sleep through. If you don't have the knowledge to tear it down, now would be a good time to get it.

I agree with Ossagp.
Any damage that was done already is done. Clean the reeds, carb and pull the head to see if any cylinder damage has occurred from the air filter being sucked in.
Foam does horrible damage to a cylinder when allowed to blow threw. It melts, sticks to the cylinder wall and peels the nikasil away from the bore. In cast cylinders it's been known to snag rings and even pull pieces of the piston.

Your combustion chamber is separated from crank case(2 stroke perk only) So I highly doubt anything got in your oil. Fresh oil never hurts though!
Eh... no its not... its seperated from the transmission.... how do think the bottom end is lubricated in a 2t? Its from oil in the gas, aka, why you will throw a crank bearing with too little 2t oil.

Eh... no its not... its seperated from the transmission.... how do think the bottom end is lubricated in a 2t? Its from oil in the gas, aka, why you will throw a crank bearing with too little 2t oil.

I understand that.... He was talking about changing transmission oil so I just said it as simple as I could. Yes, Transmission would be a better word than crankcase in this situation.

Just when you think you have a "rule of thumb" Honda separates the transmission oil from the engine oil!! Yep, the transmission is now separate from the engine, like a two stroke, or a bsa, or a triumph, or a onandonandon from the past.

Just when you think you have a "rule of thumb" Honda separates the transmission oil from the engine oil!! Yep, the transmission is now separate from the engine, like a two stroke, or a bsa, or a triumph, or a onandonandon from the past.

Yup....just like when those Honda ass holes put the kick starter on the left side to be like the Europeans.

I have an HRC 250 engine that has the clutch on the left, shift on the right, and NO provision for a kickstarter at all. I remember Montesa sticking the clutch on the crankshaft on their first open bike. I dont think anyone bought one this side of spain.

I have an HRC 250 engine that has the clutch on the left, shift on the right, and NO provision for a kickstarter at all.
Rather have no kick starter than a "lefty"........well maybe an exaggeration, but the leftanded kick start was almost useless for me. Your HRC 250 sounds a lot like the Bultaco with the reversed shifter/rear brake pedal.

Last edited:
I have an HRC 250 engine that has the clutch on the left, shift on the right, and NO provision for a kickstarter at all.
Rather have no kick starter than a "lefty"........well maybe an exaggeration, but the leftanded kick start was almost useless for me. Your HRC 250 sounds a lot like the Bultaco with the reversed shifter/rear brake pedal.

the euro's had lots of right hand shifters in the late 60's and 70's. the honda was a
converted one that honda built a few hundred of in order to make them AMA legal for pro racing.
my first ktm was a left handed shift and start. a 420. you get used to it fast, and since i had a few cz's it wasnt hard to do.