do I need to clean my engine?

I have a 95 KTM 300 exc. I'm just getting into riding and so I'm inexperienced. I'm hoping y'all could give me some input.

My bike started up and then died 50ft later.. I then got it started again and it did the same thing... I took it home and checked the air filter (first time checking it this summer, yes I know now how important it is..). I found that a mouse had eaten half the filter (I found seeds, foam peices and grass)... I've only ridden it a hand full of times (3-4 hrs total) and it was always on grass.

So my question is, what do I need to do to make sure my engine doesn't get toasted from this? I'm planning on cleaning the carb and replacing the air filter (with oil :).. Do I need to take apart my engine? Thanks

I have a 95 KTM 300 exc. I'm just getting into riding and so I'm inexperienced. I'm hoping y'all could give me some input.

My bike started up and then died 50ft later.. I then got it started again and it did the same thing... I took it home and checked the air filter (first time checking it this summer, yes I know now how important it is..). I found that a mouse had eaten half the filter (I found seeds, foam peices and grass)... I've only ridden it a hand full of times (3-4 hrs total) and it was always on grass.

So my question is, what do I need to do to make sure my engine doesn't get toasted from this? I'm planning on cleaning the carb and replacing the air filter (with oil :).. Do I need to take apart my engine? Thanks

Clean your carburetor throw a new filter in there and report back with a running report.

Clean your carburetor throw a new filter in there and report back with a running report.

Are you saying to start it up after I do this? My point was to not try to start it in case there was crud in the engine and it would damage it....

you msy need to clean out the reeds too in case a large chunk got hung up there. So, when you remove the carb look in there with a flashlite or remove the reed block too.

if any foam rubber or rat turds got in the motor, im sure theyll blow out when the motor fires. munch up that stuff and out the door.as long as the rat aint still in there somewhere.

lol,,they seem to be saying "don't sweat the soft stuff". Rez is quite possibly the only man to NEVER open a carburetor throttle lol. it would drive me nuts not to take the top end off, but I am just that way. (like at least take the reed cage off.)

OK so I will put a new filter in, clean the carbs (how important is it to replace the stuff in the carb?), take out the reeds and clean them and also clean the air boot and reed boot! Thanks for all the advice :)

If you have the money for a top end gasket set, tools, know how, and around 2 hours of freetime, it wouldn't hurt to double check. I doubt much of anything got past the reeds. It's up to you though!

OK so Im planning on cleaning the air boot, carb, reeds, and putting a new air filter on. Then putting sea foam into the gas tank and marvel mystery oil in the Tran oil and doing a few oils changes after 5hrs of riding..