dirt bike wont start. please help me!

my sons 2005 KDX50 wont start. rebuild the carburetor, replaced the sparkplug, it sparks great, when i remove the spark plug its wet and smells of gas so gas is being sucked through the carb into the compression chamber. i pulled the piston cylinder apart to check if the piston rings were in place, and they where, it feels like its got compression when you kick the starter. it has auto oil injection so its straight gas in the gas tank. being that im a novice at this, and have no idea how to check and set the timing, im out of ideas. any help is greatly appreciated.

SRAD97750

Staff member
my sons 2005 KDX50 wont start. rebuild the carburetor, replaced the sparkplug, it sparks great, when i remove the spark plug its wet and smells of gas so gas is being sucked through the carb into the compression chamber. i pulled the piston cylinder apart to check if the piston rings were in place, and they where, it feels like its got compression when you kick the starter. it has auto oil injection so its straight gas in the gas tank. being that im a novice at this, and have no idea how to check and set the timing, im out of ideas. any help is greatly appreciated.
Define, "rebuild the carburetor," as far as what YOU have done.
Cleaning and rebuilding are two different things, and one is more in depth than the other.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

just as a refresher...you need fuel, air, compression and spark at the right time to make it run. Does it have reeds? Is the air filter clean? Try putting a few drops of fuel in the spark plug hole, quickly put plug in, hold it wide open and kick. If it starts then you know its fuel delivery as the problem/

just as a refresher...you need fuel, air, compression and spark at the right time to make it run. Does it have reeds? Is the air filter clean? Try putting a few drops of fuel in the spark plug hole, quickly put plug in, hold it wide open and kick. If it starts then you know its fuel delivery as the problem/
it doesnt have reeds in it. i have seals and gaskets on order for the head, intake and exhaust. im hoping its just a pressure leak in the cylinder, because ive exhausted other idea's beside timing, which i dont know how to do.

Does it fire over with ether?

My son had a pw50 and if it sat longer than a month the carb would gum up real bad and the bike would refuse to start.

Ok. You say that the plug comes out wet. Was the float needle and seat changed? Was the float set? It sounds flooded.

There should be some marks to line up on the stator as an initial ignition timing.

A compression leak should be pretty easy to detect? (Got soapy water?)

Btw, has it run since you owned it?

Last edited:
Uhhhhh..... I have had really good luck at keeping ones running and getting them to run when they wouldn't. But until I can read minds I will need you to take the time to answer my questions that I took my time to ask.

Last edited:
ok, I see you value brevity. flooded. comment on automatic is probably wrong as well. i guess one of your yesses applied to the timing marks and that they are in order. Seems you like buying parts, a manual might be a really wise purchase. good luck.

Last edited: